History of Hackenthorpe

Hey, I always wondered when the flats and houses on Rainbow Road at S12 were actually built.

I have heard it was around the 40's and 50's but cannot be so sure.

In the 1950s.

My mum and dad moved into a new house on Hackenthorpe in 1954.

Rainbow Avenue was completed in 1953.

Cheers, always thought it was after World War 2.

Cheers, always thought it was after World War 2.

Really?

What's that hill called bedders? The one that's haunted or something?

Really?

What's that hill called bedders? The one that's haunted or something?

Sally's Hill, the one with the old factory on behind the fields.

Ah. Is that near the button factory? I seem to remember a thread on here about Sally being murdered or something? :huh::gag::gag:

no, the button factory is on church lane near hackenthorpe village . the hill is known as sally clarkes , between hackenthorpe and woodhouse

we moved onto hackenthorpe in the early 50s, they was still building when we moved in at the top of birley spa lane which was still only a dirt track that the builders used.

We lived at the bottom end of Birley Spa Lane from 1955 to 1967. Across the road from the Hogs Head there was a row of old stone houses. There was a cobbled yard in front, an open drain running the full length and I think (memory is a bit vague!) a row of outdoor toilets facing the houses butting up against a brick wall. In one of the houses lived an old woman who sold sweets from her front room. We'd call in on Saturday morning on our way to Carter Lodge playing fields or Beighton woods. To little kids like us she was a bit scary, we even felt uncomfortable just walking past the old houses, not knowing who was inside, not knowing if we should look in if the door was open. Then one day they were gone, just a pile of rubble.

Almost it's Sally Clarke's and the 2 firms that were there were Seddons, and Tungsten Carbide Developments (TCD). I have come down fast many a time down Sally Clarke's when on nights at TCD, a very spooky place indeed & steep as hell.

it was very nice in back in the day especialy on summer days lovley walk up to woodhouse village