History of Hackenthorpe

laurenece was my fiends brother think she had a sister too lived opposite the school

laurenece was my fiends brother think she had a sister too lived opposite the school

his sister was called julie hible and i too left carter lodge in 1980:)

I left 1980 you must have been in my year

That's correct and an older brother called Raymond

And parents ivy and lol lived on Beighton rd next to the methleys.

I left 1980 you must have been in my year

yes i must have been. any good memories?

remember when lads used to get their gangs and go try and have fights with west field lot

my family moved on to Carter Lodge Avenue in 1968. My parents still live there,I went to Carter Lodge School until 1973.I can remember coming down the steep hill from Woodhouse many a time on our bikes, at one point there was a very small footbridge you had to go over how we always made it to the bottom in one piece

yea remember the gospel hall we used to go to a sunday school there there were toilets outside the gala used to be on the field every summer

The gala was organised by a local charity called Hackenthorpe Old Folks Association. The charity would raise money throughout the year and each Christmas every pensioner living in Hackenthorpe received a carrier bag full of groceries and a 10/- note.

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 22:54 ----------

Yes that's correct the gala was a big one I lived near by I remember the Gospel Minister with his bowler hat very nice fellow.

The old one was called Mr Gaston but I can't remember the name of the younger black haired preacher.

yes it was sally clarkes hill and there was an engineering factory in the pit yard end of pitlane you passed it if you used the path up the tip from the old greggs house of rainbow road and the pearl button factory was in the village as my mother worked in it

Does anyone remember the traveling preachers who would preach and have us singing hymns, after playing football, in the field behind the Carr Forge Dam, on Sundays in the late 1950's. They must have worked in other outdoor locations around Hackenthorpe and Woodhouse.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 19:14 ----------

Can anyone tell me exactly where this photograph is. It has been many years since I saw Hackenthorpe but I have a vague memory of this place which is described on Picture Sheffield as Sheffield Road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19398&prevUrl=

Does anyone remember the traveling preachers who would preach and have us singing hymns, after playing football, in the field behind the Carr Forge Dam, on Sundays in the late 1950's. They must have worked in other outdoor locations around Hackenthorpe and Woodhouse.

Can anyone tell me exactly where this photograph is. It has been many years since I saw Hackenthorpe but I have a vague memory of this place which is described on Picture Sheffield as Sheffield Road.

I think the photo is of the field opposite Frecheville Garage where the Meteor jet came down. The narrow path used to run from East Glade Way to Silkstone Crescent. Looks like the Vic Hallam houses (off Dyke Vale Rpad) in the background.

I think the photo is of the field opposite Frecheville Garage where the Meteor jet came down. The narrow path used to run from East Glade Way to Silkstone Crescent. Looks like the Vic Hallam houses (off Dyke Vale Rpad) in the background.

--------------------------

Thanks earlybird8

You have got it. I checked it out on Google Earth and it looks like the path is still there though now poshed up and between trees.

I now know why i recognized it, we use to walk up that valley from Carr Forge Road to Frecheville before the Vic Hallam houses were built.