History of Hackenthorpe

Who remembers the gospel hall on church lane on the rec across from the button factory?

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 21:52 ----------

We lived at the bottom end of Birley Spa Lane from 1955 to 1967. Across the road from the Hogs Head there was a row of old stone houses. There was a cobbled yard in front, an open drain running the full length and I think (memory is a bit vague!) a row of outdoor toilets facing the houses butting up against a brick wall. In one of the houses lived an old woman who sold sweets from her front room. We'd call in on Saturday morning on our way to Carter Lodge playing fields or Beighton woods. To little kids like us she was a bit scary, we even felt uncomfortable just walking past the old houses, not knowing who was inside, not knowing if we should look in if the door was open. Then one day they were gone, just a pile of rubble.

I remember them being set on fire when being demolished.

yea remember the gospel hall we used to go to a sunday school there there were toilets outside the gala used to be on the field every summer

yea remember the gospel hall we used to go to a sunday school there there were toilets outside the gala used to be on the field every summer

Yes that's correct the gala was a big one I lived near by I remember the Gospel Minister with his bowler hat very nice fellow.

it was very nice in back in the day especialy on summer days lovley walk up to woodhouse village

Yes Dora it was, I walked down Stone Lane about 3-4 years ago going to Beighton, I could not believe how it had all gone to wrack and ruin.

Does anyone remember Lambcroft Lane and Sweet Tree Lane which ran from Woodhouse (off Spa Lane IIRC) towards the end of Stone Lane?

I remember the cricket matches that were played on the rec. and the old wooden changing room/pavilion. Guess it went the way of many of those type of buildings, vandalised, burned and demolished.

There is still a concrete pad on the old rec i think it was when they practiced cricket we played cricket in the summer and football as well on the rec.

now live in woodhouse but still have fond memories of hackenthorpe in the 70s/80s old rainbowforge school and best friends of the day Julie hibble and april and not forgetting childhood sweetheart Andrew neal

I went to the original Rainbow Forge Primary School up to seniors.

Then went to Carter Lodge School till 1994, then was shipped to Birley Secondary School for last 2 years till 1996. I really hated Birley, I lost a lot of my friends when Carter Lodge closed and got broken up, they had no care at all for pupil needs back then.

i left carter lodge in 1980 so bit before you was realy good at rainbow wot a shame we have to grow up

Yes, am 33 now and with I was 13, I was bullied a lot at school and hated most days but would happily have them days back than slave job centres and the like to make ends meet to run my flat to have a social life.

now live in woodhouse but still have fond memories of hackenthorpe in the 70s/80s old rainbowforge school and best friends of the day Julie hibble and april and not forgetting childhood sweetheart Andrew neal

What about miss cantor at rainbowforge school not a very nice headmistress ! Laurence hibble was a pal of mine.