Bessemar/Fountain/Pig and Whistle pub, Leopold street

vikki

Are we talking about the old Buccaneer here?

Yes Mr.B. It has to be the old 'Buccaneer'-closed around July 1973- the time of the demise of the old 'Grand Hotel'.The only building on that side of Leopold Street going towards West Street was the building that was used as a training centre for nurses. Previous to that it was the headquarters of 'Sheffield Education Department' and part of 'City Grammar'.

Does anyone know what year the pig & whistle shut? i suspect it was late 1980s as I seem to remember that there was a GT Sports (?) shop there for a few years in the late 80s/90s

Yes G.T. Sports forgot about them, full of overpriced fake phonies and the sports gear wasn't too great either !

Thank you hillsbro for the photo of the buccaneer. Lots of happy times and pounds sterling spent in its hallowed bar. Never thought as a youngster listening to the songs from the stars of the day that I would end up working for one of the most famous of them all in Beverly Hills. Nice man and not tight at all as he is reputed to be. Glad he just got his knighthood.

Thank you hillsbro for the photo of the buccaneer. Lots of happy times and pounds sterling spent in its hallowed bar. Never thought as a youngster listening to the songs from the stars of the day that I would end up working for one of the most famous of them all in Beverly Hills. Nice man and not tight at all as he is reputed to be. Glad he just got his knighthood.

Work for Rodney, do ya? Does he take you "sailing"?:D

I think when Cameron's opened it Roger Nowill was the manager who went on to manage the Frog & Parrot and produced the beer Roger and out.

It eventually became part of Wayne Chadwick's mini chain and I think they piped the music from the DJ at the weekend from there to the Wig & Pen and possibly The Marples

I'm taking a guess that the fire exit downstairs in the Bessemer as it is now leads to the old doors where the Pig and Whistle entrance was.

If I recall the Pig and Whistle had two entrances one out on to Leopold Street and the other just around the corner, if they wouldn't let you in one then you'd go around to the other.