Sheffield councils profit from parking fees and fines rise by 40%

Sheffield councils profit from parking fees and fines rose by 40% in 2011/12 .

Sheffield’s increased profit came from expansion of bus gate enforcement, residents’ permit zones and increased on-street and car park parking charges

Anyone still claim sheffield council are not Anti Car ?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-council-s-parking-profits-rise-new-figures-show-1-5914005

Not so much anti car. More anti bad drivers.

Edited by Eater Sundae

No they're not anti-car.

Two possibilties:

1. New methods of detecting the LAW BREAKERS are proving more effective

2. The number of LAW BREAKERS has increased leading to easier detection.

How am I, as someone who has had a parking permit scheme imposed on me, a law breaker?

They may not be anti-car, just anti-car owners.

I can't drive my car into town without getting a parking tax imposed on it, I can't leave it outside my house, on the public highway without having to pay several times over for the privilege...

So, maybe its time to leave the city...

How am I, as someone who has had a parking permit scheme imposed on me, a law breaker?

I can't drive my car into town without getting a parking tax imposed on it, I can't leave it outside my house, on the public highway without having to pay several times over for the privilege...

Cue next thread from people who want to park for free - "parking charges causing empty houses in Sheffield"

Being able to park on the street is a privilege and not a right. In a city, space is at a premium compared to suburban areas.

Not only that, if there wasn't a permit scheme in place you'd get people parking there and going into the city. At which point residents would complain that they can't park near their home because of all those parked cars.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Now that bus lane enforcement is in place on Queens Road, I think it runs better now than it did before.

Being able to park on the street is a privilege and not a right. In a city, space is at a premium compared to suburban areas.

That'll be why all the parking permit schemes are in the suburbs then.

That'll be why all the parking permit schemes are in the suburbs then.

I think with the exception of Hillsborough most are only a short walk from the city or the University / Hospitals (but yes they're not city centre) and many have a high proportion of HIMO's / student accommodation and similar.

Not only that, if there wasn't a permit scheme in place you'd get people parking there and going into the city. At which point residents would complain that they can't park near their home because of all those parked cars.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Parking isnt a privilege its something drivers already pay for so why should they pay again when at home?

Isnt that like having a warden at the end of your drive making you pay to sit it there over night?

I bet the letters that went out to these people to get them to agree to the permits in the first place have got a very differnt attitude and PRICE to what they are faced with now they are stuck with it.

Residents should park free after all isnt that who these schemes were supposed to protect?

Now they are just another cash cow for the councils to milk but fortunatly theyve been caught being greedy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23406427

Edited by Xt500

Parking isnt a privilege its something drivers already pay for so why should they pay again when at home?

Isnt that like having a warden at the end of your drive making you pay to sit it there over night?

I bet the letters that went out to these people to get them to agree to the permits in the first place have got a very differnt attitude and PRICE to what they are faced with now they are stuck with it.

Residents should park free after all isnt that who these schemes were supposed to protect?

Now they are just another cash cow for the councils to milk but fortunatly theyve been caught being greedy.

If people live in areas with high demand for parking on the public highway (well in excess of what the roads will take) how else can enforcement be paid for to ensure residents can park locally?

If people live in areas with high demand for parking on the public highway (well in excess of what the roads will take) how else can enforcement be paid for to ensure residents can park locally?

so has wages of parking maids gone up alot then?