Man collapsed ignored by people

I got off the freebee by the Crucible today and there was a young man flat out on the ground. Several people got on the bus, they had obviously just ignored him. I and another woman checked and called 999 when there was no response from him. He really was out cold. It doesn't matter what the reason was, it is not for me to guess. A medical student came and did basic checks and stayed till the ambulance arrived. They couldn't rouse him either so took him away.

I can't believe how many people ignored this poor man, though they were quick enough to gather round and stare.

I hope they find help if they ever need it, rather than just gawpers.

Might have been the lad i saw earlier mouthing at passers by and getting in their face.

If he was being dealt with by the medical student, and the ambulance had been summoned, I would have thought that other people stopping would have been unnecessary?

If he was being dealt with by the medical student, and the ambulance had been summoned, I would have thought that other people stopping would have been unnecessary?

It sounds like a lot of people ignored the fact the person was passed out on the floor before the OP and the medical student arrived...

I read the Op's post differently then.

It reads to me that the OP got off the bus, checked, and summoned medical staff by ringing 999.

Those waiting (and getting on the bus) having done nothing but ignore the situation.

It kind of shows that Sheffield isn't the happy cheerful, with nice folks, place to be.

I read the Op's post differently then.

It reads to me that the OP got off the bus, checked, and summoned medical staff by ringing 999.

Those waiting (and getting on the bus) having done nothing but ignore the situation.

It kind of shows that Sheffield isn't the happy cheerful, with nice folks, place to be.

Can't have been the lad i saw then as all the bystanders would have been clapping. Hope he's ok, whoever he his.

Can't have been the lad i saw then as all the bystanders would have been clapping. Hope he's ok, whoever he his.

It may well have been the lad you saw....and from what you are saying I guess (if it was him) deserved a slapping.

That doesn't excuse people for doing now't when someone obviously needs medical help.

It may well have been the lad you saw....and from what you are saying I guess (if it was him) deserved a slapping.

That doesn't excuse people for doing now't when someone obviously needs medical help.

Going OT now and i don't want to sound heartless as this is probably a totally different person and inappropriate but.... You make your bed, and no-one would have given a **** about this mouthy little chav if they'd heared his tirade of abuse at people passing him. Also, after witnessing his mental drunken rants i guess people may have feared what he do if he came round.

Edited by medusa
language!

If a person is 'mouthing off' at passers-by then he/she is obviously either 'under the influence' or has a genuine health problem. Either way, I don't think that warrants someone knocking them out cold, whether that is what happened in this case or not.

If a person is 'mouthing off' at passers-by then he/she is obviously either 'under the influence' or has a genuine health problem. Either way, I don't think that warrants someone knocking them out cold, whether that is what happened in this case or not.

He was abusing a woman, and anyone trying to intervene, or just in close proximity were getting both vile barrels. Just stating facts mate, nowhere have i said he deserved it.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 01:12 ----------

Just to add to that, both were drunk, but he was getting right into peoples personal spaces so self defence may have been a factor. I could see it was drunken bravado but some may not have. Like i said......You make your bed.

Wasn't their a City Ambassador around, or have they all those jobs been cut now?

Going OT now and i don't want to sound heartless as this is probably a totally different person and inappropriate but.... You make your bed, and no-one would have given a **** about this mouthy little chav if they'd heared his tirade of abuse at people passing him. Also, after witnessing his mental drunken rants i guess people may have feared what he do if he came round.

Are you aware that one of the potential presenting features of a diabetic hypo is apparent aggression and 'drunken wobbling'?

Or that many people who are having a stroke are disorientated, slur their speech and appear intoxicated?

I don't know and wouldn't like to judge because I wasn't there, but appearing drunk and being drunk are sometimes two completely different things.

EDIT- and even if he was just drunk, that doesn't imply that he wasn't ALSO in need of medical help.