Unemployment but do people want to work?

Aye, rentiers are an enemy of productive enterprise and fair wages.

Hell yeah, or rent one.

Don't be so foolish, many inherited, many got into debt and speculated. Very very few indeed will have saved and bought outright, or built new housing.

I'm working and building up savings, I'd never accept a part time job when unemployed though (unless I was a single parent), I'd stay on the dole until I could find full time work (I have)... I want to use them to build property though, I don't want to buy something that already exists.

I want a fairer system. I want competition. I want capitalism, a tree free market. No manipulation of the housing market, no restrictions on building. Let us build till we meet demand, then we will cease to build as there will be no point, for all will be housed in the accommodation we wish and can afford to build.

sorry mate you really dont have a clue.

Communism was based on the same principles that every one is equal & no one can have more than the other now look what has happened, it failed miserably with only a small number of countries following its ways,China was & is a major communist country but now capitalism is taking over there too.

All the landlords i know have Not inherited their houses, they bought one worked to make it habitable rented it out re mortgaged it & bought another- yes getting into debt & speculating

just like you or anyone else could- If you could be bothered to do that

Sorry this is a bit of a rant ...

I'd have thought that with the high levels of unemployment people would really want a job. We've been advertising a part-time job as a general assistant for a few hours a day for our new business that's really taking off. Fair enough it isn't the most glamorous of jobs as its based in an engineering workshop but it's got a wide variety of tasks and has potential! We've been underwhelmed, not just with the volume of applications but the quality too! Having spoken to a couple of potential candidates they want to have cake and eat it!! They want to dictate when they can work - we're pretty flexible as long as the job gets done to allow the distribution of stuff. We're also offering training. What more do people want??????

Answers on a postcard please!!!

Part time work is a minefield for anyone on benefits.

It isn't a case of benefits being too generous (they aren't) but a question of simple survival. I honestly think you should aquaint yourself with the strange world of unemployment benefits to find out the problems involved.

Part time work is a minefield for anyone on benefits.

It isn't a case of benefits being too generous (they aren't) but a question of simple survival. I honestly think you should aquaint yourself with the strange world of unemployment benefits to find out the problems involved.

Won't this be solved, in theory, with universal benefits?

Elphi, do you have a link or details of the job you can put here? (or possibly pm a link or details by any chance?).

I would like to work but for what i am getting on benefits unless it is over £30,000 it is not worth my while, Anyone watch 'skint' on TV, thats what it feels like.

Well They must have been inundated this time round coz' they haven't got back to me yet!

Fingers Crossed :)

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I would say that I think the biggest problem is most people don't want part time jobs, for a few reasons...

one reason may be, that depending on the hours of the part time job, they may loose, or not be entitled to additional benefits, such as, over 25, and under 16 hours, they can't claim working tax credits, but may loose most or all of their benefits, and as a result not get full housing benefit, so they may end off worse than they already are..

so, unless they can find two (or more) part time jobs, that equal a decent living, and are happy to work together with the hours, it's not really suitable for lots of people...

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 16:37 ----------

I would like to work but for what i am getting on benefits unless it is over £30,000 it is not worth my while, Anyone watch 'skint' on TV, thats what it feels like.

£30,000... ? what benefits are you getting?

I'm not even getting 1/2 that in full time employment..

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I would say that I think the biggest problem is most people don't want part time jobs, for a few reasons...

one reason may be, that depending on the hours of the part time job, they may loose, or not be entitled to additional benefits, such as, over 25, and under 16 hours, they can't claim working tax credits, but may loose most or all of their benefits, and as a result not get full housing benefit, so they may end off worse than they already are..

so, unless they can find two (or more) part time jobs, that equal a decent living, and are happy to work together with the hours, it's not really suitable for lots of people...

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 16:37 ----------

£30,000... ? what benefits are you getting?

I'm not even getting 1/2 that in full time employment..

He's a full time troll on here,just check out ANY of his previous comments.

THATS WHY I PAY SO MUCH BLOODY TAX:o

Won't this be solved, in theory, with universal benefits?

Sorry, I don't know anything about universal benefits.

(But I do know that with any government trying to save money it'll probably mean less than people are getting now.)

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 17:04 ----------

Possibly we don't know. Interesting that the default position seems to be that the OP hasn't had any takers because it's not enough money vs benefits, rather than some other reason such as not being widely advertised etc

The OP began by making assertions about the unemployed not wanting work.

sorry mate you really dont have a clue.

Communism was based on the same principles that every one is equal & no one can have more than the other now look what has happened, it failed miserably with only a small number of countries following its ways,China was & is a major communist country but now capitalism is taking over there too. All the landlords i know have Not inherited their houses, they bought one worked to make it habitable rented it out re mortgaged it & bought another- yes getting into debt & speculating

just like you or anyone else could- If you could be bothered to do that

You are confusing political systems with monetary systems. Just about every country in the world runs a capitalist system.

He's a full time troll on here,just check out ANY of his previous comments.

For £30,000 a year I'd be a full time troll :hihi: