Supertram Summer Engineering Works - Spring lane

Interesting stuff about the red lanes - I would imagine now would be the time to hatch them out.

No it isn't.

Well it suggests the Gleadless bus is on until the 3rd October, so I expect on Friday we should be able to catch a bus from Spring Lane to town again without the need to go round the corner to the petrol station bus stop.

they probably arent cycle lanes http://www.greatgasbeetle.com/when-is-a-cycle-lane-not-a-cycle-lane/

i got caught out by this at the weekend, wondering why the cycle lane was going to take me over the tracks at a dodgy angle.

I believe that the red surfacing on Park Grange Rd is there to warn car drivers to avoid those bits of road. Due to the need to then cross the tram lines at an oblique angle if driving on these parts of the road, which can lead to skidding / loss of control..!

I recall that there were a number of nasty accidents caused by this issue when the tram lines were originally laid.

A bit off topic but a fab article about how the trams used to be

http://www.thestar.co.uk/nostalgia/retro-fond-memories-of-city-s-super-trams-1-6103811

They've had problems from day one :)

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 09:01 ----------

Got on at Westfield today and at about every stop there was the recorded announcement saying replacement buses from spring lane. Got my hopes up they had finished early and back to the good old B1 service, but driver made announcement just as we got to gleadless. Sat on the B3 not getting anywhere fast :(

A bit off topic but a fab article about how the trams used to be

http://www.thestar.co.uk/nostalgia/retro-fond-memories-of-city-s-super-trams-1-6103811

They've had problems from day one :)

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 09:01 ----------

Got on at Westfield today and at about every stop there was the recorded announcement saying replacement buses from spring lane. Got my hopes up they had finished early and back to the good old B1 service, but driver made announcement just as we got to gleadless. Sat on the B3 not getting anywhere fast :(

I get on at Gleadless Townend & get off at Granville Rd - must admit that B3 has been much better for me than the B1/B2 situation.

Not sure of what happened just after 7:30 this morning though? Usually at that time there are a couple of B3s waiting at the Townend stop, outside Rubeez & due out at 7:38. Tram from Halfway usually arrives just before 7:35. Gives the bus driver time to take fares etc & get off on time. However this morning the bus didn't arrive until 7:38 - a huge queue of passengers who'd got off the tram was straggled along the footpath. When B3 finally arrived there was then a 5 min delay while the driver checked /issued tickets.

Also one other morning this week we all got on B3 at Townend, only for the driver to apologise - after the bus was nearly full - & say he'd been given the wrong running order, the bus behind would be going out first & his bus wasn't going for another 10 mins! So we all had to get off & board the other bus.

Driver of B3 towards Townend yesterday afternoon (approx 17:00) was driving down Ridgeway Rd with one hand on the wheel & his left foot up on the dashboard!

Sod the B2, I want my direct tram back!

Actually, I was thinking about this the other day - is there no crossover points on the permanent way between Sheffield College and Park Grange Croft? If there was, they could have potentially been running the tram up the hill as far as Park Grange tram stop (since tracks in both directions have been done here for some time now.

Sod the B2, I want my direct tram back!

Actually, I was thinking about this the other day - is there no crossover points on the permanent way between Sheffield College and Park Grange Croft? If there was, they could have potentially been running the tram up the hill as far as Park Grange tram stop (since tracks in both directions have been done here for some time now.

Nope, after Sheffield Station the next crossover is at Spring Lane. From memory there are other crossing points at Gleadless, Shalesmoor, Centertainment and at the Park Square junction. Probably one or two others.

Conductor came on the bus today to tell everyone about the B1 and B2 and he also said that he was skeptical they'd be finished in three weeks and that after that winter will stop them so it might not be till new year (!!!).

He also said that the reason for the initial delay was that they mixed up the rails and put the left in the right bend or vice versa and that by week one they were two weeks delayed, and a fella on the bus said that the also had the wrong tools.

Travesty.

I would imagine that if Winter is going to stop them then they will finish off what they have started and wont start any new bits, no way will they leave it half done over the winter. They do seem to be cracking on a pace in recent weeks and I dont think they have any bits left to start actually.