Cheap Food For Wild Foxes In The Sheffield Area

We regularly have foxes that come into our back garden looking for food. We like to watch them and sometimes video them. We feed them tinned cat food, dog food or dog biscuits. Has anyone got any ideas where in Sheffield I can get regular cheap cat food, dog food, or biscuits that would otherwise be thrown away? Badgers also help themselves to this food. I do not wish to enter into an ethical debate about feeding wild animals. We just want to enjoy them and make life easier for them.

We just look out for whatever dog food is on a good offer at the supermarket!

Go to sheffield poultry on roman ridge industrial estate near meadowhall. They sell a huge box of chicken off cuts and other bits of the carcass that can't be used. Foxes will love that!!

One of my lads lives in an affluent area of Sheffield. As a result of a neighbour feeding foxes in the garden, they have a rat problem !!

Don't feed foxes whatever you do, it's asking for trouble!

Sorry, but you need the ethical debate! Wild animals......leave them wild. Next thing, you will be complaining about fox poo everywhere, your plants dug up, your next door neighbours baby gets bitten, your pet cat will get gnawed, and you will never be able to get rid of them! They are not cute cuddly furry pets!

There is a reason they are shot by country folk, and it's not just because they rustle chickens.

Foxes are vermin and should not be encouraged.

Thanks bezzydan for the advice and I will contact them. That is all I wanted. At 60 years old I don't need anyone telling me what I should think on religion, politics, imigration, any other subject or foxes. I said I had no intention of entering any debate and I have not complained in any way about the foxes, nor will I.

Thanks bezzydan for the advice and I will contact them. That is all I wanted. At 60 years old I don't need anyone telling me what I should think on religion, politics, imigration, any other subject or foxes. I said I had no intention of entering any debate and I have not complained in any way about the foxes, nor will I.

Good on ya :hihi: Foxes are lovely creatures. I had one walk up to me one evening whilst I was just sitting chilling on my road, sniff my foot and just saunter off..they are very pretty close up

---------- Post added 31-05-2013 at 11:15 ----------

There is a reason they are shot by country folk, and it's not just because they rustle chickens.

Foxes are vermin and should not be encouraged.

Vermin is just a label humans attach to certain animals to attempt to justify killing them. Sad really

One of my lads lives in an affluent area of Sheffield. As a result of a neighbour feeding foxes in the garden, they have a rat problem !!

How does feeding foxes create a rat problem?

Food waste basically. Vermin is attracted to it. You often get rats near where chickens are kept.

We always have food out,primerally for stray cats,but have a family of foxes who help themselves. There has never been any sign of animosity between my four cats and them,indeed my cats are likely to chase them away if they(the foxes) try to monopolise the feed station.

We buy large bags of chicken pieces fairly cheaply in the supermarket,but asBezzydan says,it would be even cheaper where he says.

We are not trying to tame the foxes,just enjoy their company,and they are are not too reliant on us for food as the local cats have usually largely cleaned up most of it by the time the foxes arrive,and there is certainly never any left for rats,who would be very brave to come here amongst my cats.