Refused car insurance due to your post code ?

How many people have been refused car insurance because of their postcode ?

I have been trying to get quotes because of the huge increase in my car insurance premium and, rather surprisingly, I`ve been refused two quotes out of four due to my postcode. It`s actually for a vehicle primarily used for work so the relevant postcode is for Langsett Rd Hillsborough. I wasn`t aware of much trouble round there, not for the 17 years I`ve owned my shop, I haven`t ever claimed ! So why would the insurance companies refuse cover ? Cars are virtually impossible to steal these days (unless the scumbag thief has the keys) so surely it can`t be theft related ? Is it due to higher incidence of fraud (including whiplash fraudsters) ?

Are there any other postcodes round Sheffield where car insurance is regularly refused and does anyone know why ?

Edited by Justin Smith

In the early 90s i signed a lease for a unit in s9 never thinking insurance would be a problem but it was,no company would quote me for business use, turned out every other unit in the block had been broken into.I was broken into in various ways four times ,the last time ram raided.

I had loads of trouble with my quote. it was never refused but it jumped up considerably for no reason.

20+ years driving. one accident. several years ago, so had 9 years ncd. but it still jumped from £300 to well over £700.

when i put a friends post code in(just to see the difference) i was quoted under £200.

I would have loved to take it but of course i would have been breaking the law. so i was stuck with the cheapest i could find for my post code which is £728 (comp).

I was refused Business car insurance by nfu Mutual with S5 postcode

Between my house and my mums there is 15 houses but I could not get cheap insurance on my post code but could on my mums

We were granted car insurance but had to pay it in one payment. We did a quote for my parents house and were offered monthly payments. It's pants :(

It may be to do with flooding in S9. Not necessarily crime related.

When I worked overseas I struggled to get insurance.

When I worked in Crossmaglen, no one would even quote me on my Capri Laser.

Years later, I was working in the middle east, and had the same issue with my Toyota Hi Lux.

I had loads of trouble with my quote. it was never refused but it jumped up considerably for no reason.

This is typical insurance behaviour - lots of companies play this trick - The scam is, quote low to get new punters, then boot up the premium at renewal, in the hope that they won't notice, or will be too lazy to change insurers. Saga are one of the worst. Last year they did my 4WD for £300 comp. This year, their renewal was £933! I protested, and they said it might be a mistake, and they'd review it and get back to me.

They didn't. so I went on Moneysupermarket.com, and got cover with Co-op insurance for £300 approx. I rang Saga to tell them I would not be renewing with them, and to get my proof of bonus. They said: "Oh yes, there's a note on your file, we've reduced the premium by £348". Well, they should have quoted that in the first place, but it's still £600 instead of £300.

Mind you, I gained with Saga on home insurance. Last year, my Home insurer (£250 the previous year, and no claims) quoted renewal of £587. Saga, again through Moneysupermarket.com quoted £250 for home cover on the same terms. They all do this trick of bumping up the premium in year 2, hoping you won't notice.

BIG TIP! Always get quotes through an online broker like moneysupermarket, because the insurers reserve their best offers for the competitive sites. I approached Co-op direct, just to see, and the quote was £60 higher than when I got their quote via moneysupermarket.

It may be to do with flooding in S9. Not necessarily crime related.

The units are now surrounded by a steel wire fence and high gates dont think that is a flood defence system.

How many people have been refused car insurance because of their postcode ?

I have been trying to get quotes because of the huge increase in my car insurance premium and, rather surprisingly, I`ve been refused two quotes out of four due to my postcode. It`s actually for a vehicle primarily used for work so the relevant postcode is for Langsett Rd Hillsborough. I wasn`t aware of much trouble round there, not for the 17 years I`ve owned my shop, I haven`t ever claimed ! So why would the insurance companies refuse cover ? Cars are virtually impossible to steal these days (unless the scumbag thief has the keys) so surely it can`t be theft related ? Is it due to higher incidence of fraud (including whiplash fraudsters) ?

Are there any other postcodes round Sheffield where car insurance is regularly refused and does anyone know why ?

I'm glad someone has brought this issue up!

My current (soon to be ex) car insurance company - a big well known company has pushed my new premium through the roof literally, apparently its down to the area in which I live or so they say. I mentioned I would not be renewing with them and they immediately lowered the policy down £150 to £405, they failed to provide me with a response as to why they had increased the policy the amount they did, maybe they thought I'd pay it?

Instead I am sorted via the UK's second largest insurance company after LV. The cover is better and the premium is a whopping £260 less than More Than!!! Search around as some companies seem to be blacklisting certain areas if that's the right phrase to use.

---------- Post added 28-05-2013 at 22:04 ----------

This is typical insurance behaviour - lots of companies play this trick - The scam is, quote low to get new punters, then boot up the premium at renewal, in the hope that they won't notice, or will be too lazy to change insurers. Saga are one of the worst. Last year they did my 4WD for £300 comp. This year, their renewal was £933! I protested, and they said it might be a mistake, and they'd review it and get back to me.

They didn't. so I went on Moneysupermarket.com, and got cover with Co-op insurance for £300 approx. I rang Saga to tell them I would not be renewing with them, and to get my proof of bonus. They said: "Oh yes, there's a note on your file, we've reduced the premium by £348". Well, they should have quoted that in the first place, but it's still £600 instead of £300.

Mind you, I gained with Saga on home insurance. Last year, my Home insurer (£250 the previous year, and no claims) quoted renewal of £587. Saga, again through Moneysupermarket.com quoted £250 for home cover on the same terms. They all do this trick of bumping up the premium in year 2, hoping you won't notice.

BIG TIP! Always get quotes through an online broker like moneysupermarket, because the insurers reserve their best offers for the competitive sites. I approached Co-op direct, just to see, and the quote was £60 higher than when I got their quote via moneysupermarket.

I got my mine £260 cheaper thanks to Gocompare.com I can't fault them. They've saved me money every year for the past 4 years

The units are now surrounded by a steel wire fence and high gates dont think that is a flood defence system.

Yeah but they just blacklist whole postcodes now. I know someone who couldnt get insurance on at the top of granville rd cause of the flooding.

they are conning gits