Looking for advice on this damaged car before buying

I've seen a car for sale which I'm really interested in and would be grateful for any advice as it has some (what i hope is only) cosmetic damage. It's advertised as 'needing paint' but i suspect it needs a whole front bumper which i'm fine with.

Please can anyone tell me looking at the images if I should expect any hidden more serious problems though behind the damage? I've HPI checked the car and there is no record of it being any sort of write off but some of the information doesn't appear to be fully up to date. The car has just had a full year MOT which suggests it should be sound, but then the MOT could always be dodgy for all I know! The car seems very cheap for the spec and miles (ignoring the cosmetic stuff). The guy says its all great but then he would lol. Really want the car but a little suspicious in case its too good to be true.. Its a Y-01 mondeo ghia X 2.5ltr with 70k and only at £650. bargain or steer well clear? cosmetic stuff I dont care about at all, I can get that fixed up.

front bumper:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/ha3el_photo/car1_zps30965ce2.jpg

front bumper close up:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/ha3el_photo/car2_zpsb713c012.jpg

passenger side rear arch

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/ha3el_photo/car3_zps581a3433.jpg

drivers side front arch

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/ha3el_photo/car4_zps3ca2e25b.jpg

I'd be grateful for any info from someone who knows more about this sort of thing, or info as to what sort of damage i should be looking for behind that bumper. car (according to trader) has no leaks etc.

many thanks

open the bonnet and look down between rad and front bumper to see if its straight and not twisted, also look at sides of engine bay for signs of same

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think £650 is about right for a 12-13 year old car. You could always negotiate another £100 off on the issue with the bumper

Sure itl be ok & a steal at that money.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 13:49 ----------

I think £650 is about right for a 12-13 year old car. You could always negotiate another £100 off on the issue with the bumper

Not always maybe for a ford but I dowt ul find a BMW on a 2001 for 650?

Look to see if the radiator or slam panel have been replaced as well, also check the location of the air con rad and pipes just to make sure it's not down there.

A steal? Wouldn't pay it myself. Because I know that arch damage is classed as a write off on this car, exact same car myself, didn't have half the arch damage this has and it got written off by the insurers!

You'll find if the dents cannot be pulled, the area needing replaced is a big (costly!) job as on the mk3 model (not sure on others!) the arch is all connected, door columns (?) all the way across the side of the car etc.

Op if you want pictures of my arch damage, pm me an email address and ill forward some.

Yep quite common on Fords for the front arches to be welded on.

I hope it is a geunine steal, because taken on face value you'd assume the car has not been very well looked after and so probably hides a few problems for the next owner.

First thing I would do would be to remove the duck tape from the bumper.

Looks like the wheels are near to the legal limit.

I think you'll end up spending more than the car is worth on repairs.

Look on the inside of the bonnet at the nuts holding the wing in place. If they look like they have been used, the wing will have been replaced, which mean it could be a cat D car that has been repaired. If so, stay away.

Have you done a VOSA check? This will give you the full MOT history and you will be able to check whether the car has been clocked.

Thanks for all the replies here, very helpful and will look for all of these things if i do go to look at it. I'm not so worried about the mileage, the paid HPI check i did had miles registed right up to 2008 still at only 40k and its had two owners. he has current MOT showing the last couple of years prev milage. I got the HPI as I was concerned it was a catD in case it affects my insurance but there's nothing on there suggesting this.

Gina: I realise many cars are written off purely because costs by the time accident management companies get involved, outweighs the payout even if there's nothing that major wrong, - was that the case with yours or was it for structural reasons? Tbh as long as the car is safe I wouldnt even bother fixing the arches, as has been said its a bigger job than its worth and i can live with it.

The bumper yes the first thing I'd have done is had the tape off too! trader says he hasnt as he doesnt know if it'd go back together, which to me suggests the bumper is f***ed completely. bumper from a salvage wont be expensive i shouldnt think, but if it is knacked shouldnt it have failed an MOT? not sure what the requirements are on that..

Mondeo...check the clutch

Ah yeah I know, I've had two mondeos previously but at just under the 70k I wouldnt expect the clutch to be too worn yet, I will check these things though of course - thanks for the reminder.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 14:38 ----------

I havent done an actual VOSA check, says i need numbers from the V5 or the last MOT to do that

Looking at the scrapes it has from the photographs, looks like its had a hard life the past few years. Bear in mind also, 2.5 v6, can't give em away these days.