Looking for advice on this damaged car before buying

Before you buy that car, take a look at what the CO2 emissions are. I had a 'Y' reg 2001 car - registered in March 2001. I'm fairly sure that the VED was based on the CO2 value. I don't think that you will get any change out of £400 to 'tax' the car.

Regarding the damage, the wheel arches look superficial to me. The bumper, I reckon you'll need to source another and then get it sprayed up.

Personally, based on the running costs, I wouldn't touch it.

EDIT

Road tax £280

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/road-tax-guide/ford/mondeo/saloon-2000/19949/

Edited by big_g

Thanks all,

I'm fully aware of the road tax price, my last 2ltr already cost the top band, its only a 5er a month difference when you think about it, already checked out the insurance cost too for the car, was the first thing done.

Anyhow after the replies here I've decided it'd be best to leave the car, there's another more sensible one a little further away so hopefully we'll come away with that today. Thanks all for the help, I probably was blinded by the idea of a 2.5 a little bit but its not worth the risks of something being very wrong with it.

Re. diesels i'd be happy enough with a diesel but its not necessary as we dont actually do a lot of driving. no a smaller car is not an option though before anyone says it :hihi:

Ha3el quote: diesels, i'd be happy enough with a diesel but its not necessary as we dont actually do a lot of driving.quote

The only diesel's that I see with black smoke coming out of the pipe are Fords and not old ones either.

Are their diesel engines rubbish??

Before you buy that car, take a look at what the CO2 emissions are. I had a 'Y' reg 2001 car - registered in March 2001. I'm fairly sure that the VED was based on the CO2 value. I don't think that you will get any change out of £400 to 'tax' the car.

Yes, didn't it change from the 51 plates onwards? So two identical cars of the same year, with the same engine could be wildly different?

Ha3el quote: diesels, i'd be happy enough with a diesel but its not necessary as we dont actually do a lot of driving.quote

The only diesel's that I see with black smoke coming out of the pipe are Fords and not old ones either.

Are their diesel engines rubbish??

I bought a Mondeo tdci estate 4 years ago, I bought it at a car auction for £2500 it was just under 3 years old, 1 former keeper and done 130,000 miles.

Apart from usual wear and tear- exhaust, tyres etc, no problems.

It's now done 200,000 miles, just gone through MoT no problems.

It doesn't use any oil, usually if a diesel blows black smoke out, I think it's more a fuel problem, maybe injectors.

I'd buy another one.

Good move avoiding it. Theres better cars out there for the money / not much more.

Re fuel economy, my 3.2 V6 Vectra is returning 25mpg around town. Diesels on short journeys are not that economical, plus if they dont get a good run the EGR valve gets gummed up and the DPF (if fitted) gets gummed up. If both fail then its £££££'s to get repaired.

I've avoid a Diesel at all costs if only ever doing local travel.

• 3 months later...
Might just as well get the 2.0, its fast enough. Don't let people con you into thinking that you need a diesel these days. The modern common rail diesels turn into unreliable junk after a few years, throwing the 'savings' out of the window.

Bang on :thumbsup:

I know no end of people who have scraped together £2000 to buy a diesel then despite promises of 50mpg then been faced with a £1200 bill to replace sh****d injectors. How many miles do you have to do to get that back? I drove a 2.0 mondeo back from the south last week on the motorway it averaged 44.8 mpg. On that basis how do you justify a time bomb common rail diesel.