After watching all the folk running the Sheffield Half on Sunday, I have decided its about time to get off my back side and start doing some proper running myself.... I've heard about the Parkruns and a few good events around Sheffield - what do people think are the best ones in the area so I can have a couple of things to aim for... would like to do some 5ks to start off then some 10ks in the Autumn maybe.... with the plan to do the Sheffield half next year perhaps.

Any advice appreciated.

There aren`t many 5k races but there is the Sheffield Cat Shelter race in Graves Park next month and the Big Fun Run at Rother Valley in August. There are 5 parkruns in Sheffield which are 5k`s and a great, free place to start.

10k`s well there`s Run in the Park in July for Weston Park, I think , in Graves Park.

Worth looking at Runners World website for Events listing. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/

Where are you based? There are a fair few low key running groups dotted about too.

thanks Jemson the runnersworld site has got a few in the area ... I've heard about the Percy Pud, but also looking to get on the trails away from the tarmac too... I hear its better for you!?

Hi TBarnacle, I can recommend the Park Runs. They're great fun, good to do every week and you can see your times improve.

If you can drive out to the peaks, there's some nice trails that go around Ladybower (about 5.5 miles), or Derwent / Howden reservoirs (about 9.5 miles), just off the A57, park up at Fairholmes.

Whatever runs you decide to do, please go and buy some proper running trainers, they don't need to cost a fortune but they will make such a difference and potentially stop serious injuries before they can develop.

park runs are fab and free!

you need to register and print off a barcode they put your name and times online

they are all over the country they are on saturdays at 9am,

if your not up to that then get out and about in your area

good luck

Hi,

We are organising a 5K run with a difference on Sunday 7th July in Hillsborough Park and Hillsborough Stadium. To find out more find us at urban-challenge.co.uk!

Whatever runs you decide to do, please go and buy some proper running trainers, they don't need to cost a fortune but they will make such a difference and potentially stop serious injuries before they can develop.

I would definitely agree with this.....BUT.....i would also add that just having a pair of proper running trainers will not stop you from getting injured necessarily (It helps though!).

If you're serious about making running a big part of your life then i would recommend reading up about the WAY you run. It's not just about having the right protection but about having the right technique. Look up minamalist running on google if you want to find out more (beware though, there is lots of reserach that backs up for AND against). What it has done though is made me think really hard about how i run and changed my running style entirely.

Agree with The Mush, learn how to run properly first and increase intensity or distance afterwards.

If you can do a park run which is free to enter then how about joining a running club

all the local clubs are friendly and not at all scary

If you are in north sheffield check out Valley hill runners

They have a 5 mile off road race on Tuesday the 18th June if you want to come and run

yes would echo the advice about injury be really careful.

Don't want to put you off but injury is such a common factor with running.

Very slowly building your distance and practicing on softer surfaces also helps.

Although I really enjoy it I now only run now and then because of a knee injury that went chronic if I was just starting again would cross train much more than I did.