Is celebrating St Georges Day racist?

As with any nationalism celebration it is always going to be a golden Ukippers excuse for veiled racism, and since hardly anyone else other than these racist right wing nut jobs celebrate St Georges day the more racist these celebratory events become.

I understand the streets of Dublin will be crawling with morris dancers drinking flat John Smiths in floppy plastic pint pots putting on their best fake queens English accent telling their mates that they've got Sheffield blood coursing through their veins.:hihi:

Ha! That actually made me laugh out loud. Good call NS. :D

Copy & paste from wiki=

In Islamic cultures

Saint George is somewhat of an exception among saints and legends, in that he is known and respected by Muslims, as well as venerated by Christians throughout the Middle East, from Egypt to Asia Minor.[40] His stature in these regions derives from the fact that his figure has become somewhat of a composite character mixing elements from Biblical, Quranic and folkloric sources, at times being partially identified with Al-Khidr.[40] He is said to have killed a dragon near the sea in Beirut and at the beginning of the 20th century Muslim women used to visit his shrine in the area to pray to him.[40]

There is nothing inherently racist about St. George's day as far as I am aware.

Hijacking it and using it as an excuse to espouse racist beliefs is totally unacceptable but it does not make the day itself racist.

Greek and mental? That's a different matter. (Psssst... dragons aren't real).

As with any nationalism celebration it is always going to be a golden Ukippers excuse for veiled racism, and since hardly anyone else other than these racist right wing nut jobs celebrate St Georges day the more racist these celebratory events become.

Simple question.

Are you suggesting if i celebrate St Georges day i'm an inherent racist ?

---------- Post added 23-04-2013 at 05:56 ----------

Copy & paste from wiki=

In Islamic cultures

Saint George is somewhat of an exception among saints and legends, in that he is known and respected by Muslims, as well as venerated by Christians throughout the Middle East, from Egypt to Asia Minor.[40] His stature in these regions derives from the fact that his figure has become somewhat of a composite character mixing elements from Biblical, Quranic and folkloric sources, at times being partially identified with Al-Khidr.[40] He is said to have killed a dragon near the sea in Beirut and at the beginning of the 20th century Muslim women used to visit his shrine in the area to pray to him.[40]

We should embrace this version of events imo. :thumbsup:

No one calls it racist

When the daffodil's worn in Wales

Or is offended by their dragon

With its forked tail and scales

When St Patrick’s day comes round

And the shamrock's being worn

The Irish are not treated

With insult or with scorn

If a Scotsman on St Andrew’s day

Hoists his flag aloft

He’s not proclaimed a fascist

Or ridiculed or scoffed

So when St George's Day arrives

We English wont hide

For England & St George

We’ll wear our Rose with pride

---------- Post added 23-04-2013 at 07:20 ----------

There is nothing inherently racist about St. George's day as far as I am aware.

Hijacking it and using it as an excuse to espouse racist beliefs is totally unacceptable but it does not make the day itself racist.

Greek and mental? That's a different matter. (Psssst... DRAGONS AREN'T REAL).

Shush you will upset the Welsh!

---------- Post added 23-04-2013 at 07:32 ----------

Simple question.

Are you suggesting if i celebrate St Georges day i'm an inherent racist ?

---------- Post added 23-04-2013 at 05:56 ----------

We should embrace this version of events imo. :thumbsup:

I concur.

. . . . . .

Just another veiled attempt at suggesting that if we celebrate our national day we're racist, total bunkum, HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY to one and all.

English and proud to be, so should very other person from their race, they are proud to be what they are, we don't knock them for that. So why should we be knocked for being English and proud.