Staffy information needed

My neighbour has a white staffy. He is contemplating mating him. This dog has been diagnosed as having allergies to house & dust mites which is causing skin problems. He is going to have to have regular injections to help control this (which I think are steroid based?).

So I need to know....how can this affect the dog as a breeding male? Will the ongoing steroids cause any ill effects to the puppies? Also, can the skin problem be passed genetically. (He is a pure white staffy by the way)

I have tried every other argument to put him off, but I think he thinks I am just another one of those animal loving nutters who doesn't know what they're talking about. I've told him about the disgusting amount of staffies pts & without homes filling up every Rescue in the country. I've tried warning him of the dangers of the puppies ending up in the same situation or even worse, as fighting dogs. He's just not taking it in. He's a decent bloke who loves his dog & I think his attitude is typical of 'blokey blokes' who think it is cruel to have his dogs knackers chopped off & feels it is not doing any harm to let his dog mate. I dont think it's a money motivated idea. Just a daft bloke who loves his dog & wants to carry on the gene pool.

If anyone can point me in the direction of HARD FACTS that I can print out & give to him about the number of staffies pts & homeless in Sheffield that would be good, because I think he thinks I'm making it up.

If I can prove good solid reasons medically for not mating this dog I think I have a better chance of dissuading him :help:

Sit him in front of your computer and show him ....... show him every picture you can find of dogs forced to fight, abandoned dogs and abused dogs. Show him this forum that begs for help for pound animals to be saved. Contact a vet to find out about the steroids and skin infection. But for the love of all things furry do not stop trying to dissuade him.

I am starting to feel sick at the thought of what the future may hold for this dog's offspring as everyday I look at heartbreaking picture of dogs with no love :(

If he's competent enough to work a computer he can gather all the facts for himself but it sounds like he'll do it regardless. Maybe you can convince him to have his own knackers removed, it's his gene pool that needs stemming.

If he's competent enough to work a computer he can gather all the facts for himself but it sounds like he'll do it regardless. Maybe you can convince him to have his own knackers removed, it's his gene pool that needs stemming.

my bold

That's a better idea :hihi: You hold him down and I'll fetch the rusty scissors :hihi:

Show him the website http://www.ineedahome.com. On there he will see the amount of staffies for rehoming. He will also see the amount of staffies under the heading URGENT - DUE TO BE PTS TOMORROW by their names.

People like him are why I support dog licensing - how can it be that idiots like this are allowed to keep dogs....

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 08:17 ----------

PS Good on you for trying!!!!!!!

http://staffycampaign.org.uk/ This site might be a good one to look at for information to show this man. It also features the panorama documentary on the plight of staffies and over breeding etc I don't fancy watching it personally but it might work. It shows a staffie actually being PTS (hence not wanting to view it) maybe it could be the wake up call he needs.

Coat colour in dogs CAN be linked to genetic health problems which of course could be passed on to offspring. I don't know about white staffies in particular but the merle coat colour for one can be linked to problems with eyes and ears (google for double merle if you want to be horrified by breeders who will stop at nothing to achieve the 'look' regardless of health :mad: ).

I have heard that white coat colour in staffies can be linked to skin problems but can't find anything solid to back this up, just people's own experiences. I can't seem to find out it allergies etc are hereditary but surely it's just not sensible to breed from any animal with health problems just in case.

Of course the obvious problem is the sun - white animals are prone to sunburn and skin cancer which seems a shame as dogs often love to sunbathe.

Why risk any of it?!

any staffie can have skin problems. my red staff has an allergy to grass pollen but it is kept in check by giving her a piriton tablet during the summer and using sudocrem

just take a look round the kennels and find out the facts there are far too many staffies being put to sleep it is not cruel to get him done without mating him.

Breeding staffys should be banned for at least 5 years as the country is over run with them. I personal find it digusting as I have 3 rescue staffs and the abuse they had before me bils my blood because people don't want them for the right reasons.

Send him down to talk to the people at Sheffield Council Kennels and walk round himself. Even full good quality pedigree staffies get dumped and put to sleep.

Totally agree - stop the breeding but primarily of the staffy and bull breed crosses - they are the main problem. Damn breed gene gets everywhere.

White haired and light pigmented dogs are usually much weaker in everything than other colours, regardless of the breed.

Thanks for all the replies. I've contacted staffy campaign to see if they can send me some facts & figures. I think I need something I can print out to give him to read. He is unlikely to go to websites or visit the kennels.

He has a lovely dog, typical boisterous staffy soft as a brush, but I am worried for it. Being a 'blokey bloke' he play fights with it, rough & tumble style & he mock bites the dog on its face. The dog gets very excited & plays back, but I am really worried that the dog may misread this play fighting & one day seriously bite him back. The dog is now raging with hormones (about 12 months old). It's already attracting unwanted aggression from other dogs (so far it has not shown aggression back) when its out in the park & it's started wee marking indoors.

I'm going to keep trying to talk sense into him, but with fellas like this it's hard because they just see you as a nag.

ps Tried to download the panorama program on i player, but its says it's not available anymore.

*Had some info sent through now. So shall print it off and pass it to him this weekend. Here's hoping it can make him change his mind.

Edited by spats
info added

I personally love Staffies and am saddened to see so many in the rescue centres. They literally are full to bursting. I've just rescued a gorgeous 3 year old female staffy from the council pound and the really nice lady was telling me how the majority of dogs they have and always get in are unwanted staffies ans staffy crosses. Please try to talk your neighbour out of breeding. There's just too many already.