To pay or get kicked off

yesterday I paid a £4.80 train fare to chesterfield with a £50 note which got accepted, so why would it be unacceptable to do this on the bus?

If everyone paid with a £50 pound note, the float would be in the thousands lol

I once tried to get on the very last bus home after uni with a tenner and was refused point blank. The driver left me stood in Hillsborough bus station with no open shops around me to get change and no prospect of another bus. After a tearful conversation with my other half and a full blown panic attack, I ended up getting a taxi. The bus driver drove off after witnessing it all and didn't look back.

Don't you just love how compassionate humans can be sometimes? :/

I once tried to get on the very last bus home after uni with a tenner and was refused point blank. The driver left me stood in Hillsborough bus station with no open shops around me to get change and no prospect of another bus. After a tearful conversation with my other half and a full blown panic attack, I ended up getting a taxi. The bus driver drove off after witnessing it all and didn't look back.

You should have taken the vehicle number/time and complained.

Believe it or not, it is not a legal requirement to give change and is only given as a matter of courtesy (and you would avoid most shops that didn't anyway).

It also works the other way too, for example bronze coins (1p and 2p) are only legal tender for up to 20p. So if you tried paying your fare with 1p and 2p's, you could get refused too.

Stuart

That's harsh, he should of let you travel even if he just didn't charge you.

As for the OP, it depends on the time. If you get a bus at 6 in the morning chances are the driver won't have any change, it's down to the driver whether he follows company rules or free rides you. Of course getting on in the middle of the day I'd still no guarantee as some shifts can start as late as 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I don't know the rules for first but at stagecoach if a passenger gets on and we can't change it we are supposed to charge you and when you get off give the change then. If we haven't got enough still by then we are supposed to leave the change at the depot for you to collect. Of course the driver could just not charge you but remember if a driver does that and an inspector gets on or another passenger reports it then the driver can be in serious trouble

Believe it or not, it is not a legal requirement to give change and is only given as a matter of courtesy (and you would avoid most shops that didn't anyway).

It also works the other way too, for example bronze coins (1p and 2p) are only legal tender for up to 20p. So if you tried paying your fare with 1p and 2p's, you could get refused too.

Stuart

You're misapplying the concept of legal tender.

It's correct to say that 1p and 2p coins are only legal tender in amounts up to 20p. However, that has nothing to do with paying a bus fare. Legal tender is a specific concept that governs payments to a court. It doesn't have any meaning in the context of day-to-day transactions.

You're misapplying the concept of legal tender.

It's correct to say that 1p and 2p coins are only legal tender in amounts up to 20p. However, that has nothing to do with paying a bus fare. Legal tender is a specific concept that governs payments to a court. It doesn't have any meaning in the context of day-to-day transactions.

I agree, payments to a court has to be in legal tender. The bus company may accept payment in non-legal tender.

Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes. In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender it is necessary, for example, actually to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded.

source http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines

I standby my original statement, a bus company may refuse your fare if you try and pay is 1p and 2p, if over 20p. It is up-to both parties to agree to accept legal tender or otherwise.

see this example

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/06/27/liverpool-woman-falls-foul-of-a-bizarre-law-after-trying-to-pay-her-30-petrol-bill-in-copper-coins-100252-31269388/

Sorry for hi-jacking the original thread, I won't reply to any further responses to this.

Stuart