"A good driver". Very subjective.

I think i'm a great driver ! 70mph on the motorway, great lane discipline, courteous to a fault, always giving way to other road users (even BMW drivers) whilst making progress, allowing cyclists masses of room and seeing them as the ones with priority and crawling to a halt if needed. Others see me as a dawdling div, but i'm not! they're just impatient and inconsiderate wrongly seeing the car as king with fist waving and cries of "a pay mi road tax <removed> :hihi:

So who's like me, a great driver, and are you one of the impatient rubbish drivers, in denial. :D

Edited by PeteMorris
Removed masked swearing..Give it a rest eh?

cheers - thats what I though, not what the other guy said, confused me.

However.

There is no specific law that enshrines that situation. No law that says that the pedestrian has right of way.

In the event of an incident, the driver would be prosecuted under a law that would use failure to follow the Highway Code as supporting evidence. (Driving without care & consideration, driving dangerously etc.)

A pedestrian that has already started crossing has priority.

Do they? What part of the highway code says this because it does say "If traffic is coming, let it pass."

Edit: Found it, its this:

At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way (see Rule 170).

So from the above, if you are on a road and about to turn into another at a junction and you are indicating, the pedestrian should head both of the above rules ("Look out for traffic..." & "If traffic is coming, let it pass.") and wait. Not blithely walking into your path as many do.

There is also these rules that should mean if a car is approaching a junction and indicating the pedestrian should not cross.

• not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
  • look all around before emerging. Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.

---------- Post added 06-04-2013 at 10:20 ----------

cheers - thats what I though, not what the other guy said, confused me.

its not as simple as that, see post. A pedestrian does not have the right of way just by putting their foot on the road at a junction. They need to have followed a bunch of other rules first.

What I get from the rules is, if you are indicating to enter a junction, and there is not enough space for the pedestrian to cross, they do not have priority.

Edited by WeX

What you "get from the rules" is superceded by case law and highways/traffic law.

There is no "right of way" for the pedestrian because, as you say, there is a duty of care reasonably placed upon the pedestrian themselves.

There are laws though that do require a car to be driven with due care and consideration for other users including pedestrians.

I think Lewis Hamilton is a great driver, but who knows how considerate he is to other road users.

Being a good driver is more than knowing the rules of the road and how to obey them. Like how you get on driving in the snow, wet or on gravel. How good you are at driving on all roads in all conditions even in foreign countries.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android