University destroyed disabled student Phd data

It was an accident but it is 2 years work down the pan. University appears to offer no apology and since lodging complaint now seem to suggest student had not made sufficient progress even though student was scheduled to graduate this year. Reckon trying to cop out of giving extra funding to enable Phd to complete. Complaint process also cumbersome biased and alienate student. Anyone come across similar situation before? Any legal redress?

Never heard of it before in my life.

How can the uni destroy all of their work, they should have multiple lab books, digital copies and all backups.

If they were that close to finishing they should also have written most of the thesis.

PhD funding is usually fixed at the start (e.g. 3 years full time) and you don't get extra money if you don't finish on time. You also don't have a fixed graduation time so if they were due to graduate this year then they should have finished writing their thesis by now.

There must be more to this. The way that most Universities work now, certainly UoS, is via an MPhil/PhD route, whereby to upgrade from MPhil to PhD at or near the end of year one, the student must have shown sufficient progress. Also, one year's worth of PhD funding (£13,000) is not going to be particularly useful to the supervisor. It has limitations on what it can be used for and is not enough to employ an RA or PostDoc to 'tidy up' if the student was rubbish. Plus, as suggested already, one needs to have back ups!

Never heard of it before in my life.

How can the uni destroy all of their work, they should have multiple lab books, digital copies and all backups.

If they were that close to finishing they should also have written most of the thesis.

Not lab based work and happened almost a year ago but took uni 4 months to determine what had happened to the storage cabinet. Work was backed up on encrypted usb stix but this also stored in cabinet.

Not lab based work and happened almost a year ago but took uni 4 months to determine what had happened to the storage cabinet. Work was backed up on encrypted usb stix but this also stored in cabinet.

Well that was very stupid then. It is well known that these things can happen.. stuff goes missing, gets stolen and lost all the time at University. You only have yourself to blame going by the details you have given. Sorry.

Also what is the relevance of the students disability?

There must be more to this. The way that most Universities work now, certainly UoS, is via an MPhil/PhD route, whereby to upgrade from MPhil to PhD at or near the end of year one, the student must have shown sufficient progress. Also, one year's worth of PhD funding (£13,000) is not going to be particularly useful to the supervisor. It has limitations on what it can be used for and is not enough to employ an RA or PostDoc to 'tidy up' if the student was rubbish. Plus, as suggested already, one needs to have back ups!

Yes my thoughts exactly. This student did successfully upgrade at end of year one and I believe spent her second year collecting data and making initial analysis. There was problem with supervision and some sort of office politics and she was moved to another building but could not take her files with her, these were stored elsewhere in the faculty but suddenly disappeared.

Yes my thoughts exactly. This student did successfully upgrade at end of year one and I believe spent her second year collecting data and making initial analysis. There was problem with supervision and some sort of office politics and she was moved to another building but could not take her files with her, these were stored elsewhere in the faculty but suddenly disappeared.

I am at the University as a PhD student currently and had to move building. I took my filing cabinet with me. Why couldn't she get someone to move at least her papers across?

It's a very sad story, and I really feel for the student. But having been through a very similar situation ourselves, I can tell you it is the student's responsibility to make multiple copies. All you can hope is that they will give you more time, which they did in my husband's case. No extra money though. You just have to suck it up.

Archived