Bad areas in Sheffield

idc3

And yet the city centre still feels very safe.

It does have the highest concentration of crime, but a lot of that takes place in the early hours of Sat and Sun morning, which presumably wouldn't be when the OP is going to walk about exploring the city... (It's also true of most cities).

Sheffield is a lovely city, there aren't many places where you should feel unsafe unless it is ridiculous o'clock, and even then it is more what is in your mind than anything really bad. Incidents that happen tend to be related to local bars/etc. If you are looking for a place to live, Sheffield offers plenty of variation in price/atmosphere so it all depends on what you are after. In the City Centre you are probably looking at apartments (of which there are plenty of nice ones).

Alternatively, I live in Hillsborough and around here are places like Crookes/Walkley (studentey), Hillsborough/Wadsley/Stannington/Loxley which all offer good quality, affordable housing and are generally sociable and friendly enough.

Why not get on the tram and have a look around the city that way, the yellow line takes you to Meadowhall/Hillsborough from the city centre, it will give you a good impression.

i have lived here nearly 5 years with no problems, but like mrs patching said you just have to use your common sense. i have walked through many of the "bad" areas late at night. I have found that walking around looking like you know where you are going (keeping your head up and looking confident about where you are) and people seem to assume you are local and generally leave you alone. Well it has worked for me anyway!