Council Leader on Radio Sheffield

rossyrooneyHere we go,who do you think you are?,coming on here quoting facts.:D:

I realised after i posted i should have known better:gag:

Edited by kidley

Where were you when all this was discussed?

All Local Authorities are given money by central government to fund public services - only a very small percentage can be paid for from Council Tax. However, the government ring-fences a large amount of the money it gives so that it can only be spent in certain areas and not used for other things.

This year, the amount the government has given Sheffield has been cut by over £50 million and some of that is for specific areas which the government no longer wants to fund. So the Early Years money previously given for nursery provision has been cut specifically & this is why you see threads on here petitioning for Children's Centres to stay.

Next year, the funding will be cut again by another £30 million and by £30 million again the year after.

This isn't bad housekeeping by the Council, it's a deliberate decision by the government to cut funding to Local Authorities. The premise being that public services will be run by the private sector for profit. Those that make no profit, like libraries, will either be run by the voluntary sector or, as has happened in many towns and cities, closed altogether.

It's happening right across the country, only the north of England is experiencing bigger cuts in funding than the more affluent areas in the south

hello.

** You say that the government ring-fences a large amount of the money it gives so that it can only be spent in certain areas and not used for other things.** So why don't they spend it on what they are supposed to, instead of sitting on it?

I visit my relatives who now live in a little village called Burton in Christchirch Dorset.. They Used to live on Holdenhurst; Boscombe and prior to that in a flat in Boscombe.

Bournemouth has a Conservative Council. The place is spotless regardless of where you go. The Parks are immaculate and the roads are all flower lined. Schools have exceptionally high standards, even in the 'poorer areas' like Kinson and Winton; and children strive and excel-in my experience. I don't recall any functional schools ever having been pulled down and rebuilt in the forty years I have been visiting?

Every single thing is maintained to the highest standards. They only have one bus company (that I have seen) which runs very regularly. No lines of buses hassling for customers there!!

If you go into Boscombe by car, there is cheap on site parking behind Marks and Spencers which serves the busy precinct, where a market visits Thrs and Sat and competes absolutely fine with all the big stores. There is also a three tiered car park which serves the Palmerston Shopping Centre and again the precinct and is accessed by a lift, all costing not much than 50p per hour. Parking on the Road in Boscombe is free. Half a mile away is the Castlepoint Centre with free parking, which again has top of the range shops. Pretty much like our Meadowhall but not under glass.

When I go into Bournemouth I go by bus, because it drops me at the door of the shops I want to visit/Debenhams/John Lewis. There is a small precinct which includes all the major shops, and the bus stops at both ends? But I could take the car and park in the many easy to access carparks directly behind the shops. The roads are 'perfectly' maintained even on the backstreets, and I have never ever seen a pothole....

I'm trying to think of anything negative to say about Bournemouthit but can't.

They pay a pound or two more than us in Council Tax, but it appears that the Leaders and their Council have worked out a way of giving the public 'exactly' what they need without any of the waste that we have to suffer here.

They manage to keep all their amenities and roads in tip top condition, and even manage to run free Courses for Council Tennants to empower and support them.

http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Housing/CouncilHousing/GetInvolved/Training-and-Courses.aspx

So what in hell's name are we doing here.

Council Tax in Bournemouth 2012-13.

A/£999.33 B/£1165.89 C/£1332.44 D/£1499.00 E/£1832.11 F/£2165.22 G/£2498.33 H/£2998.00

Council Tax in Sheffield. 2012/13

A/£988.55 B/£1,153.31 C/£1,318.08 D/£1,482.84 E/£1,812.36 F/£2,141.87 G/£2,471.39 H/£2,965.67

I have to say, that given how much Bournemouth gets for their money. I know what I would choose.

My advice stop voting for amateurs, stop making excuses, and start employing professional people who have an eye on heritage and business, and another vision - other than pull to pill a perfectly good thing down to build another- and pitch and patch where you can; whilst voting for your own nest (office) to be feathered, and your own voice and opinions to be heard over that of the people who pay your wages..

Why did 'You' built a state of the art School and Medical Centre in Firvale and then pull all the bl**dy houses of the people feeding these facilities down!!!

I am totally bewildered.

I have never in my life voted Conservative for my Council, but given this example, I think it is time to give them a try next time...............................

Yes, I'm afraid. That old chestnut about spelling and punctuation. It's what make the English language intelligible. Oh, and do try to cut down on the number of emoticons - they could make people think that you don't have the words to express yourself.

And please keep up if you're going to continue posting. It's been common knowledge on the Forum that I was a city councillor some years ago. I used to pick up quite a lot of my casework from here.

At least I have the guts to state it openly.

What do you do?

I didnt know that! I always wonder where people get their user names from:hihi:

Your signature says you emigrated to Barnsley. So how come you live closer to somewhere you don't live than to where you do live?

You enter Barnsley just the other side of Stocksbridge ,so although im officially in Barnsley , in a lot nearer sheffield than most areas of Barnsley.

---------- Post added 17-03-2013 at 21:18 ----------

Oh it's all gone quiet in Penistone.

Its always Quiet up in the hills where i am . :)

You do it and two others do and i am not going to name them because you know very well i will be in trouble with the moderators.I was actually talking about posters on this forum not councillors in general.I have known two ex councillors but they were both independents.I must say they were a damn sight more pleasant than you.You are a prime example of a typical left winger with a chip on your shoulder still hoping for revolution and death to the capitalists.I think you need to find something to do instead of spending all your time on here,i dont have time to mess with politics i can find better things to do.

There are a lot of typical right wingers on this Forum also-and not letting hard facts get in the way of an opportunity to slag the council. Penistone 999 for one.

There are a lot of typical right wingers on this Forum also-and not letting hard facts get in the way of an opportunity to slag the council. Penistone 999 for one.

Agree with you entirely,up to now I have been accused of being a left winger and a right winger while I have been a member on this forum.I have always seen myself has a middle of the road person actually.I have never voted conservative and I have not voted labour for a long time.I usually vote lib dem and didn't think they did a lot wrong to be honest.They were unlucky that Nick Clegg has got the blame for all Britains problems.Watching the left and right blaming each other in the house of commons is like a children's creche.I am probably being unfair to children they show more decorum.

So criticizing Council waste makes you a right winger and defending the council makes you a Leftie. I would suggest its more about holding councils to account( whichever party is running them) ,and letting them know the Tax payers arnt happy seeing their money wasted on their stupid pet schemes. Ive criticized many councils on here , be they Tory , Labour or Lib Dem run. Its not about which party is in charge, its about local authorities wasting taxpayers money .

I didnt know that! I always wonder where people get their user names from:hihi:

Oooh, that was naughty. But I like it.

So criticizing Council waste makes you a right winger and defending the council makes you a Leftie. I would suggest its more about holding councils to account( whichever party is running them) ,and letting them know the Tax payers arnt happy seeing their money wasted on their stupid pet schemes. Ive criticized many councils on here , be they Tory , Labour or Lib Dem run. Its not about which party is in charge, its about local authorities wasting taxpayers money .

Well said and a big. :thumbsup: to that.

Just been listening to Julie Dore on Radio Sheffield, god help us if this is the best leader Sheffield can get. Don't think she gave a straight answer just spin spin spin. It was before my time in power, blame the Lib Dems, blame the Govt.

People rang for answers and got nothing. It may be the others fault, but what you going to do about it.

Absolutely gob-smacked anyone ever uses this excuse in politics! More or less advocates that constant change doesn't work & a non-democratic totalitarianism state is the way forward! Talk about talking yourself out of a job???

spot on like me criticizing a councillor on facebook which he didnt like and try to get me reported thought this country was a country that endorsed freedom of speech . and im like you if the council isnt doing well but say another labour council does well i ask why and all we get is the ritual about the goverment cuts not that they pay consultants hand fulls of money . waste money etc

Oooh, that was naughty. But I like it.
care to respond to catpus post ?