Passport name change for a child question?

Hi im currently applying via deed poll to change my childs name to remove his absent fathers surname, On the passport website it says that a name change can be done to a childs passport if both people with PR consent. Obviously i don't have his fathers consent as he is absent and i cant trace him as he wont give me an address that he lives at because he doesnt want to pay child maintenance and has had no contact with my child for the past 6 years. Has anyone experienced this problem? or does anyone know if the passport office would refuse my child a passport and if so how i would go about this??

Does the father have parental rights over the child? If so, you are required to let him know your intentions. Just because the father is absent in your view doesn't mean you can do what you like when it comes to the fathers legal entitlement. Not only that, I guess your wish to change the child's name is born out of a wish to 'get at' the child's father as it serves no baring on said child's life in anyway.

Edited by WeX

Actually it is not a get at the father as he would not know about it as he is ABSENT! My sons father was adopted and was never told until later in life meaning my son actually has the surname of a family he has no blood relation to. I cannot obtain a court order as i have no forwarding address to sent the court letters to as he decided to produce 3 other children with 3 other women who he also does not see/support and they have tried to take him to the CSA who also cannot find him (maybe he's reverted back to his birth name, who knows?) i only found out about the other children he'd had after one of their mothers contacted me on facebook to ask if id seen him after he turned up at her house beat her up and trashed the house and the police could not find him either. I would like my child to have the surname of the family he has blood relations to, is that a crime?

I'd make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau, they may be able to help.

Actually it is not a get at the father as he would not know about it as he is ABSENT! My sons father was adopted and was never told until later in life meaning my son actually has the surname of a family he has no blood relation to. I cannot obtain a court order as i have no forwarding address to sent the court letters to as he decided to produce 3 other children with 3 other women who he also does not see/support and they have tried to take him to the CSA who also cannot find him (maybe he's reverted back to his birth name, who knows?) i only found out about the other children he'd had after one of their mothers contacted me on facebook to ask if id seen him after he turned up at her house beat her up and trashed the house and the police could not find him either. I would like my child to have the surname of the family he has blood relations to, is that a crime?

If you say this is not to get at the father, why are you not telling him? I think you are, but I'm not going to get into an argument with you. A surname makes no difference to the child, I grew up with a different name to my household as my mother divorced and remarried when I was very young. It made no difference to me back then when divorced families were less common and it makes even less difference today.

If you say this is not to get at the father, why are you not telling him? I think you are, but I'm not going to get into an argument with you. A surname makes no difference to the child, I grew up with a different name to my household as my mother divorced and remarried when I was very young. It made no difference to me back then when divorced families were less common and it makes even less difference today.

I cannot tell him because he is absent and has been for the past 6 years i have no way of contacting him! If you are not going to help with my passport question then why comment?

I cannot tell him because he is absent and has been for the past 6 years i have no way of contacting him! If you are not going to help with my passport question then why comment?

I commented as I asked you a question which you didn't answer, which is pretty important to whether or not you can change the child's name, however you insist this is due to him being absent but then go on a rant about the guy. Its pretty hard to believe you when you say you are not getting back at him when you cant give a reason why you want to change the child's name other than getting at him.

But, like I said, I'm not here to get into an argument, so I would follow francypants's recommendation as they will be able to guide you through this and will ask you the same question I have above.

Does the father have parental rights over the child? If so, you are required to let him know your intentions. Just because the father is absent in your view doesn't mean you can do what you like when it comes to the fathers legal entitlement. Not only that, I guess your wish to change the child's name is born out of a wish to 'get at' the child's father as it serves no baring on said child's life in anyway.

I don't agree with the implication that WeX has drawn, but if you don't have sole PR, the first thing you should do is find out to change that situation. After that changing the name on the passport will be easy.

The answer to your question is here.... i did answer it! My sons father was adopted and was never told until later in life meaning my son actually has the surname of a family he has no blood relation to.

Personally i don't think his father would give a flying monkeys what i changed his name to as long as i didn't ask for a penny towards his upbringing which i don't! It's a complete shame im not allowed to name his father on here or you could go personally find him and deliver the news yourself as i have exhausted all my sources and cannot find him.

Thanks for the advice on the citizens advice though as i didn't realise they dealt with anything other than debt

If you say this is not to get at the father, why are you not telling him?

She can't track him down... Did you actually read this thread at all?

Might just be simpler, if it knows it's Dad isn't it's biological dad, for it to change it's name by itself when it's older.

I don't see why it makes a difference, if you were trying convince it that your current partner was its real dad then fair enough, but if it already knows, then what's the point?

Might just be simpler, if it knows it's Dad isn't it's biological dad, for it to change it's name by itself when it's older.

I don't see why it makes a difference, if you were trying convince it that your current partner was its real dad then fair enough, but if it already knows, then what's the point?

The dad, is the dad, nobody is saying otherwise.

The dad was adopted, and not told about it - he has his adopted family's surname (to which the child is no blood relation) and so the OP doesn't want her child to be legally known by this name, which is not the child 'real family name'

I presume the OP is either wanting to change her son's name to the birth name of his father, or to her own surname, so he is known by the surname of his blood relations, not adoptive grandparents.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 14:01 ----------

http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk/655/6-changing-a-childs-name-without-the-consent-of-an-absent-father#.UTidJxwvUho

If you both have parental consent, apparently you need a court order to change the name via deed poll anyway - that court order should suffice in any future passport related things, I should think x

In fact as I typed that i read further down and there is a section about passports! x

Edited by Leah-Lacie