Petition to increase sentences for animal cruelty

Well the Government is an ass then. Surely someone who is capable of, for example, cutting a puppy's paws off, microwaving a kitten or burning a dog, shows such a degree of psychopathy (I was struggling to find a word that really meant evil) that 6 months and fine really don't do justice.

I'm not suggesting lynching and castrating but someone with that degree of separation from right and wrong surely needs to be in a mental institution.

Agreed. Problem you have is that the law really sees animal cruelty as destruction of property, hence the lightweight sentances. In reality this level of cruelty is more of a warning to more dangerous crimes. 6 months secure psychiatric evaluation should be a minimum for this sort thing.

Signed - lets hope it keeps going and gets the signatures it needs to be debated again!

I've not read the petition, but my initial reaction is to agree with the sentiments, but disagree with the practicalities.

The prisons are full, so if we lock people up for longer due to animal cruelty, who do we release earlier back into society.....Habitual burglars, rapists, murderers?

I would guess like so many other things in our society the prison budget is probably being cut, so the money won't be there for more prisons and prison officers.

I'd stick them all on to some remote Scottish Island, give them some seed to grow their own crops and let them fend for themselves.....But that's a different discussion. :D

Regards

Doom

Signed and circulated

Not signed............

£20K fine and 6 months is good enough already.