Pig meat found in 100% beef meatballs

Sorry I misread that...99p for.....TEN?I thought you meant 0ne......ermmm where have you seen 10 steaks for 99p? farmfoods

See Post 56.

Passing one thing off for another has been going on for years at the cheap end of the market.

Courtesy of 'max' who quoted this from another forum:

"The next year I got a job in an abbatoir / food production plant making doner kebab meat / steak canadians (same stuff). 200Kg blocks of frozen mutton hearts would come in from Australia. We'd then tip them into a large stainless steel hopper together with a bag of liquid animal fat, and a sack of breadcrumbs/spices/additives. Huge claws would rotate down into the hopper; slicing the frozen hearts and generating a liquid slurry. This was then pumped through a giant nozzle into different shaped plastic bags. One shape was for a doner (round-ish) and the other was rectangular to be made into steak canadians (they were then frozen)."

I missed that in my scrolling last night - thanks for the heads up, Jim.

jeez - that's gross.

But now I think about it - last year i bought a bag of frozen 'Sausage sandwich squares' or something like that - from Fultons- i grilled one to see what it was like - and nearly threw up. It was a taste I can't describe.....but I knew something wasn't right - straight in the bin. I wouldn't wish those on anyone including the local cats and hedgehogs.

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 04:46 ----------

We still want to know, who is "people like you"?

Yes, it suddenly went all weird didn't it - after some good posts. I used to really believe i was totally crackers before I came to SF. In the end, SF saved my sanity because it showed me I am not crackers - but recognise a cracker a mile off. I am so talented :):D:D:D:rolleyes:

I cant believe how many people are in a flap over horsemeat . Total over reaction to something which is eaten in many other countries on a daily basis.

Why don't supermarkets lower the price and relabel suspect beef products as meat products

Why don't supermarkets lower the price and relabel suspect beef products as meat products

exactly - first sensible proposal in the thread - nice one :cool:

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 13:48 ----------

I cant believe how many people are in a flap over horsemeat . Total over reaction to something which is eaten in many other countries on a daily basis.

but they have stringent laws on how the horse is prepared and declared fit and safe for human consumption - that's fine - if you like to eat horse, then eat it -but it must have gone through the same procedure that we have for beef, pork and lamb and all other meats. In Britain, there are no laws or guidelines so it has become a dirty little secret to pop a bit of horse into the beef to lower the cost and improve the profit - it is not the eating horsemeat I take exception to - its yet another case of lying and deceit. We deserve better than being lied to about what we are eating - lying is lying which ever way you want to dress it up and justify it.

Horsemeat is just the tip of the ice iceberg...

If you saw what they put in Processed food you may think again....

Its an issue of provenance.

Horsemeat is just the tip of the ice iceberg...

If you saw what they put in Processed food you may think again....

Do you eat Sausage ?