Old B&C Co-op on Boyland street Neesend

mikebatty

Doe,s anyone remember the the old Brightside and Carbrook co-op on Boyland street ? Virtually everything was sold loose . Sugar weighed out in strong blue bags which , when emptied , were re-used to put the eggs in . Butter and lard cut out of big lumps and weighed . At the counter when being totaled to pay it was put on to the old cheque to register with the divi number ( 67786 ) was my mothers number . The cheques were written out in pencil ( no such things as ball pens then . The cheque and cash was put into a little cylinder fastened to a clip thing overhead and sent wizzing on this overhead cable to the cash point . In those days such contraptions were used in many shops .

I did all my shopping at Co-op on Boyland St when we first married I lived with my husbands parents on Rutland Rd. My weekly shopping was about £5 and that included paying my 4d club. One of the assistants name that comes to mind was Eva. I cant remember a chip shop on that road, the only chip shop I can think of was on Harvest Lane.

I don't know what years you are talking about but my father was born in Boyland st, and his grandmother had a fish and chip shop there, probs about the 1930s/40s

I'm talking late 40's - to 61 . The corner of Bardwell road Boyland street was Allen's ( chemist ) , sweet shop that used to have a soda fountain, chip shop and , I think , there was a cobbler's . The Co-op was at the other end of Boyland street . It cornered on to another street before going on to Rutland road .

I'm talking late 40's - to 61 . The corner of Bardwell road Boyland street was Allen's ( chemist ) , sweet shop that used to have a soda fountain, chip shop and , I think , there was a cobbler's . The Co-op was at the other end of Boyland street . It cornered on to another street before going on to Rutland road .

That was Boyland place,the chip shop that was on the co-op site belonged to a chap called Roland...his cooking tasted wonderful...,across Rutland Road was the Co-op hall,we held my grandfathers wake there and it was used regularly for wedding receptions.

Archived