Buying a used car from Gilders

mogwai84

Looking to buy a nearly new used car. Maybe a Golf or perhaps a Leon. This is the first time I've bought a car before and I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it.

Has anyone bought a used car from Gilders before and how did you find the experience? Looking at their sticker prices they do seem to be a bit of a premium to comparable cars in other places, and so I'd have to look to negotiate quite hard (although I appreciate that buying from Gilders would have benefits such as a warranty etc).

Any other advice greatly received.

You will be paying a premium buying from a main dealer such as Gilders.

Why not do a search on Autotrader for a Leon or Golf within 10 miles of Sheffield and see what comes up.

Don't restrict yourself to one dealer.

There are lots of ar Supermarkets that will be cheaper but I would avoid one particular one out near the Airport :-)

A few colleagues have bought from Direct Cars and have been impressed.

:suspect:

Looking to buy a nearly new used car. Maybe a Golf or perhaps a Leon. This is the first time I've bought a car before and I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it.

Has anyone bought a used car from Gilders before and how did you find the experience? Looking at their sticker prices they do seem to be a bit of a premium to comparable cars in other places, and so I'd have to look to negotiate quite hard (although I appreciate that buying from Gilders would have benefits such as a warranty etc).

Any other advice greatly received.

hi i bought a used car from gilders last year and i was impressed .i go for the warranty.and my wife as just got a car from benfields from wakefield they have loads of cars and cheap and a right good service also a 0ne years warranty on used cars there are just off junt 40 on the m1. hope this helps you

I went shopping the other day. Went up to the counter to pay for my goods and the assistant asked if I wanted 'fries with that'.

I said, no, it's a bottle of shampoo.

'Oh, sorry,' the assistant replied. 'It's the training. I used to work in Halfords.'

Complete madness.

Oh, and what's worse, the assistant never questioned why a bald man would want to buy shampoo.

Sometimes I just wonder what they teach people thesedays.

A crafty one I suspect!

Not the people's one then? :)

I once went into the crafty one and asked what %age their finance was..the "salesman" said that didn't matter just look how much the payments were each month..we left without looking at any motors..never been since..I suspect it's " buy money and get a free car" there..

my wifes grandad bought cars from gilders for years, he used to value the customer service, plus if you intend to have it serviced by them then the service history will be bullet proof which is a bonus when your ready to sell the car, sounds like you have the measure of them tbh, a big concern like guilders comes at a price but maybe a price worth paying for piece of mind.

just a quick edit, you should be buying reliability with vdub anyway so i wouldnt discount a well respected dealer if they can give you a good deal.

Not the people's one then? :)

I once went into the crafty one and asked what %age their finance was..the "salesman" said that didn't matter just look how much the payments were each month..we left without looking at any motors..never been since..I suspect it's " buy money and get a free car" there..

Seems a bit daft to write off a whole company selling thousands of cars just because a single salesman didnt seem to know enough about finance for your liking.

How can it been easy for them to find you finance be a bad thing? Not everyone has thousands of pounds laying around to pay cash for their cars so they supply finance, and of course make a commission on each financial agreement they refer. Its called business.

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 12:14 ----------

I am not recommending car craft, my relatives have always bought cars from Direct Cars and have always been pleased.

Seems a bit daft to write off a whole company selling thousands of cars just because a single salesman didnt seem to know enough about finance for your liking.

How can it been easy for them to find you finance be a bad thing? Not everyone has thousands of pounds laying around to pay cash for their cars so they supply finance, and of course make a commission on each financial agreement they refer. Its called business.

So you don't think the percentage rate is important either? It would have been nice to know how much this finance would have cost compared to other places. Why should I go back to somewhere where I had bad service..it's not as though there's a shortage of car warehouses..they were very poor in my opinion..