Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

WeX

Internship is a choice..how is it slavery or forced labour..? Just read the Beeb article,,,it wasn't really an internship was it?

Internships are working for free. I don't know the technicalities of it all but its free working. I'm not sure how bad it is in the UK compared to the USA, but over there they use interns to fill staffing gaps with little chance of getting a job in the end.

Internships are working for free. I don't know the technicalities of it all but its free working. I'm not sure how bad it is in the UK compared to the USA, but over there they use interns to fill staffing gaps with little chance of getting a job in the end.

But it's a choice nevertheless? I think we have a differnt understanding of intership...never mind..

Edited by truman

You see volunteering is one thing but being an intern is competing for a real job in the end.

I see internship as working for free/low pay for a year or so after uni in the industry/subject in which you have graduated to enable you to get hands on experience and to make contact with other people/businesses in the sector..networking if you like..

This has just popped up on the BBC's news feed.

Graduate Cait Reilly wins Court of Appeal claim that working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour.

What will this do to internships in the UK?

internships (for very long periods of time) already are illegal, its just not much is done on the enforcement side. They are supposed to pay minimum wage.

Not sure I have much sympathy for Cait though - from what I recall she applied for many "higher powered' jobs and was not getting them and refused to apply for jobs she was more likely to get. In that situation it seems reasonable to force her to work (though not for free - she should have been paid at least the minimum wage, because I don't see why Tesco/Poundland etc should get free labour)

Internships are for those who are fortunate enough to:

a. Choose to do them.

b. Have parents to support them whilst living at home.

This leads people to believe internships are therefore class based as you cannot be in receipt of JSA if you are on an internship. This leads accusations of internships being for the middle class.

Many people start off working as researchers in Parliament, on internships.

Internships are for those who are fortunate enough to:

a. Choose to do them.

b. Have parents to support them whilst living at home.

This leads people to believe internships are therefore class based as you cannot be in receipt of JSA if you are on an internship. This leads accusations of internships being for the middle class.

Many people start off working as researchers in Parliament, on internships.

I think that kind of agrees with my post #7