Large diesel consumption on Transit van HELP !!

If you're sure the tank and sender are a match, and are definitely identical to the one removed, I'd check the speedo. Has the repair work involved removal of the dash or speedo drive/sender causing an inacuracy.

FYO different fuel tank sizes can be specified on some vehicles, when you put fuel in does the gauge alter accordingly, and the same as with the original tank.

Yeah and while we are at it,check the wheel size,maybe someone swapped them for smaller ones?

Just to clarify the technical term in the original post. When you say 'ran out' - does that mean that the van stopped as there was no diesel in the tank or does it mean that the needle went into the red or fuel light came on or whatever. I've heard people say "I need to fill up as I've run out" when they really meant that they were running low.

The only true test for fuel consumption is to brim the tank and then do your normal driving and then brim the tank again. Make sure that you use the same pump at the same station with the van pointing the same way as the level of the ground will affect how much fuel goes into the tank. Oh, and watch that you don't overfill in case diesel comes out onto the road - lethal for bikes.

Only problem with doing that test in your case is that if there is an issue, you've to get rid of a tank of diesel before taking it back to the garage.

As above, thats the only really accurate way to determine fuel consumption.

Yeah and while we are at it,check the wheel size,maybe someone swapped them for smaller ones?

and while your checking the wheels make sure you took the hand brake off

130miles on £30 of fuel for a tranny sounds good to me, Don't forget you would have accumulated quite a large reserve with the old tank now your running on what you have just put in if that makes sense.

i get around 50-55 miles for every £10 around town slightly better on a run .

Know this sounds daft but the price of fuel rose recently,(at my local station anyway) that makes a big difference.

Nothing to do with the van using more Diesel mate we are being robbed by the thieving government on the price of fuel

One of my vans was using a lot of diesel once and I did every thing but it still used a load of diesel, I was looking through the security tapes one day and I was gobsmacked to see one of my neighbour's in the middle of the night on his hands and knees with a rubber pipe and a can syphoning diesel out of my van:shocked: the swine,the thing is he was always coming round our house asking favours and scrounging,just goes to show you cant trust anyone.