Sofa companies - best of the worst?

i got mine from dfs got talked in to buying the scotchgard an the 5 year cleaning plan never had them out but wanting to sell my sofas so thought get them out to do one clean they cant do that they have to come out for one spot at a time an want to know where it is when it happened how big what it is if i would have known that i would have had them out every single week total rip off

I know you said 'local', but have you considered IKEA?

They offer 0% (well...they definitely used to, as we used it at their Nottingham store, so check if they still do) and deliver.

We've had settees from the usual suspects over the years, and I'm familiar with both ends of the quality spectrum (and I'd class DFS near the bottom, tbh - pretty much in agreement with truman). Went with IKEA the last time, for a white (!) leather suite, still looks like new 4 years on.

Short of going for really top-end stuff (e.g. Burov), then I'd have no hesitation going back to IKEA rather than the likes of CSL, SCS, DFS, etc. on a price/quality basis.

Edited by L00b

we bought a pair of sofas (3 seat + 2 seat) from barkers six years ago and they are still in excellent condition. they were quite expensive but built to last.

Are you absolutely SURE you want a corner sofa (sound likes your other half is :) ). Just would say that they aren't the most versatile bits of furniture - you'll be stuck with the layout, and if you move house, it might not fit the new room. They can look cool in the right room, but can easily look naff in the wrong one! Definitely marmite furniture!

Good luck with the hunt. We've been looking for ages for the right sofa, never realised what monstrosities there are out there! Ended up ordering from M&S, but still waiting for delivery....fingers crossed........

I bought a leather corner sofa form DFS 8 years ago and it is still in very good condition.

theres a place on richmond road, handsworth. got ours from there a leather one its been strong but i hate the colour (like butter cream) had it about 8 years. there was plenty to choose from at that time big settee one chair £1400.

I've bought leather sofa from furnitex.co.uk and it looks great in my living room so i can recommend them.

Edited by Michaelcouk

Barkers is the one on Penistone road just before dog track. Have a look at Ponsfords you can often be lucky and get a great bargain in the sales. I have bought from Barkers and was impressed with the staff, we purchase a guarantee for 5 years for the leather but we never needed to use it.

I've bought from both Barkers and Ponsford (although not a sofa from P), I'd recommend both companies though, they make quality products.

We still have the laz-y-boy sofas from Barkers, must be coming up to about a decade old, have moved house with us, and they still feel solid and look good.

I got my first leather sofa's from Ikea and they were very cheap but lasted through 2 house moves and never lost their shape.

We then got 2 large sofa's from DFS and opted for the firm seat pads rather than the cushion ones that go flat and 3 years in it still looks and feels brand new.

Saying that, we don't have kids or pets so I imagine ours get less wear & tear than in a family household! :)

Hopefully the OP has found something by now, or they will have very tired legs....:)

Good point, I didn't see the OP date.