What caused the grid lock today?

Traffic around Meadowhead was partially caused by a lorry that got stuck on a patch of ice, then jack-knifed. One colleague took almost three hours to drive in, yet they could have walked it in just 2hrs. It shows how dependant some people have gotten on the cars.

The problem i people driving at speeds inappropriate for the conditions, either the weather, car, or driver ability, and either going too fast or too slow. £300 for winter tyres isn't much to keep you safe on the road and with more severe weather apparent at winter in the last few years i wouldn't be surprised if someone suggests making winter tyres mandatory, just like on the continent.

I got stuck behind a bus trying to go 2mph down Jenkin Hill at 7am, only then to hear that all buses had been stopped at 8am, including city centre.

I to have put snow tyre on my car, and am completely converted. They cost less than my summer tyres, work better at temperatures under 7C and should last just as long (mile for mile). I cant find any information on what temperature i should swop them back to summer, but I'll just keep an eye on their tread depths.

Traffic around Meadowhead was partially caused by a lorry that got stuck on a patch of ice, then jack-knifed. One colleague took almost three hours to drive in, yet they could have walked it in just 2hrs. It shows how dependant some people have gotten on the cars.

The problem i people driving at speeds inappropriate for the conditions, either the weather, car, or driver ability, and either going too fast or too slow. £300 for winter tyres isn't much to keep you safe on the road and with more severe weather apparent at winter in the last few years i wouldn't be surprised if someone suggests making winter tyres mandatory, just like on the continent.

I got stuck behind a bus trying to go 2mph down Jenkin Hill at 7am, only then to hear that all buses had been stopped at 8am, including city centre.

I to have put snow tyre on my car, and am completely converted. They cost less than my summer tyres, work better at temperatures under 7C and should last just as long (mile for mile). I cant find any information on what temperature i should swop them back to summer, but I'll just keep an eye on their tread depths.

Well worth it for the 2 days a year that you need them!

Alternativley you could drive carefully or not bother?

Two days? i did mention they work better that summer tyre at temperatures below 7C didnt I? By better i mean extensive tests of stopping distances, cornering and speed.

And we've already had at least two days of heavy snow/ice, i live up a hill and we've got another winter at the other end of 2013 to look forward to. If i choose to put them on my car and keep me safe, why should i be forced to follow Mrs Smith in her 4x4 driving at 10mph because she hasn't paid for winter tyres?

Yes i would follow cars doing 10mph until a point as i see it safe to overtake, they may well be following a car in front going slowly, but don't complain about the "boy racer in his sports car" who has decided to spend his earn;t money to drive at a pace more in-line with the speed limit.

I've found a need for my winter tyres for about 10 days this winter so far, and they provide better grip in wet weather on many other days too. The working day has carried on as normal for me.

If everyone was responsible and made sure their car was suitably equipped before driving off this gridlock may be a thing of the past.

Alternatively you could get used to threads like this - motorists blaming someone else for the gridlock instead of thinking ahead.

And on the road from Eckington through Frecheville/Birley..

It took me one and a half hours from Mosborough to Frecheville. No where to safely leave the car parked up so sat it out. People mocking me on this forum when i said i hated the snow. This is the exact reason why i do. I need the car for my job so i couldn't walk it.

It took me one and a half hours from Mosborough to Frecheville. No where to safely leave the car parked up so sat it out. People mocking me on this forum when i said i hated the snow. This is the exact reason why i do. I need the car for my job so i couldn't walk it.

There wasn't much wrong with the road conditions...don't know why there was so much delay....

North Yorkshire, Cumbria to name but two.........would you like photos, I do have them.

no thanks, news reports of communities cut off and stranded for over a month due to widespread travel chaos will do.

fact is, no-one was suffering due to snow for anything like you suggested

best declare at this stage I have friends who farm in Cumbria and are more than prepared for whatever the seasons throw at them, just the same as my friends who live in central London are even less prepared than we are.

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:08 ----------

Would you say the same thing if she was doing 90mph? :hihi:

of course not.

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:10 ----------

There wasn't much wrong with the road conditions...don't know why there was so much delay....

where do you live fella?

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:12 ----------

you can put snow tyres on whatever you want, but it aint coming down Halfway hill any faster than any other vehicle out there.

no thanks, news reports of communities cut off and stranded for over a month due to widespread travel chaos will do.

fact is, no-one was suffering due to snow for anything like you suggested

best declare at this stage I have friends who farm in Cumbria and are more than prepared for whatever the seasons throw at them, just the same as my friends who live in central London are even less prepared than we are.

Best declare I was living out there at that time and yes we were prepared, why weren't people in London etc

where do you live fella?

[.

Doesn't matter where I live..I came down from J30 at Barlborough through Renishaw and Eckington, up to Mosbro' and on through Frecheville and Birley,no problem with the roads just some people on them...it all started going OK again at the lights at Intake where the pictures used to be..

Best declare I was living out there at that time and yes we were prepared, why weren't people in London etc

so then, no wide spread long term disruption due to snow etc, from two independent sources - I know because I am up there several times a year.

so why say there was in your previous post?

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 19:23 ----------

Doesn't matter where I live..I came down from J30 at Barlborough through Renishaw and Eckington, up to Mosbro' and on through Frecheville and Birley,no problem with the roads just some people on them...it all started going OK again at the lights at Intake where the pictures used to be..

I can see that road from my lounge - it was white over from about 8.00 to 10.30 with traffic stood for the best part of that time, I walked to the top of the cemetery and Mosb. was no better.

halfway hill was still white with tracks at 11.00 when I went up it.

Netherthorpe Road for one was extremely slippery. When everyone is edging down there, unless you have a low-ratio gearbox, there was no alternative but to go down gently on the brakes. In a normal 1st gear downhill ticking over would still have been too fast to stop safely if needed. Which it was, due to people edging down that way.

Someone sat at the side of the road in a BMW at the bottom didn't help, causing a bottleneck of all the vehicles going down into one lane. Really not sure why it was there but in the circumstances, stopping anywhere to help would only have added to the problem.

Netherthorpe Road for one was extremely slippery. When everyone is edging down there, unless you have a low-ratio gearbox, there was no alternative but to go down gently on the brakes. In a normal 1st gear downhill ticking over would still have been too fast to stop safely if needed. Which it was, due to people edging down that way.

Someone sat at the side of the road in a BMW at the bottom didn't help, causing a bottleneck of all the vehicles going down into one lane. Really not sure why it was there but in the circumstances, stopping anywhere to help would only have added to the problem.

I was replying to someone,MrsPatching,who had driven on the same roads as I did this morning..