Builder wanting money upfront

had a builder come to give me a quote for some work im after haveing done but he wants 5000 up front for materiels ,ive said no chance you should have credit accounts with local merchants etc ,he says i,m being unreasonable so how can i check him out ?

what`s the total build cost in relation to the 5K? I don`t have any problem paying or asking for a deposit for large contracts.

No you are not being unreasonable. You could offer to pay the suppliers direct for the materials to be delivered to your property. Ask for referances if you are unsure of his authenticity

total cost is around 12000

He may have credit accounts! But how many jobs does he have on.. He may have a limmit.. Ask for referecences from his previous customers. Or ask for address drive past and ask them! That's the way cowboy builders says to do... But most builders do ask for moneuy upfront to start the build!x

Find out what materials are needed and then you buy them and have them delivered to your house.

Him for a split in the quote.

How much is for labour and how much is for materials!

No you are not being unreasonable. You could offer to pay the suppliers direct for the materials to be delivered to your property. Ask for referances if you are unsure of his authenticity

i was thinking about something along those lines ,i might not get the same discounts as him but would give me peace of mind

5k upfront- on your bike, as you and others have said- if they are legit they should have accounts, or offer to pay direct and pay them each day for the work done.

total cost is around 12000

A job that size would warrant a staged contract outlining what should be paid at what level of completion.

3 payments would not be unusual. But the first would require materials on-site and some level of work progressed.

By asking for 5k up-front, he would have lost any chance of doing the job for me.

By asking for 5k up-front, he would have lost any chance of doing the job for me.

Agreed, never have worked with a builder that has asked for money up-front, especially that much. If they did I wouldn't be working with them ever again.