Sheffield market

That;s something I'd not followed or even thought about.

What (if anything) are the plans for the old market area?

That;s something I'd not followed or even thought about.

What (if anything) are the plans for the old market area?

The general idea was to uncover the old castle ruins, conduct some sort of survey of the site to learn more about the city's beginnings before creating a park type area, with the exposed remains on show.

I think there were also plans to create a new route from the city to Victoria Quays, opening it up with easier access.

Not sure if that will ever happen now, given how everything else in the city has come to a halt.

What they are building on the moor will be the brother/sister of meadowhall. That is not a market no more.

I'd disagree. They're bringing markets into the 21st century and will hopefully encourage people to return and use them like their parents did.

Bury Market got a modern makeover and is still very popular - coach companies even do day trip specials to the place which shows it has potential. Imagine if Sheffield got its act together and could tap into that business?

The general idea was to uncover the old castle ruins, conduct some sort of survey of the site to learn more about the city's beginnings before creating a park type area, with the exposed remains on show.

I think there were also plans to create a new route from the city to Victoria Quays, opening it up with easier access.

Not sure if that will ever happen now, given how everything else in the city has come to a halt.

Now you jogged my memory, I had seen something about exposing the ruins, but had forgotten. Thanks.

Not long now before the shiny new markets are open. I, for one, cannot wait if it means a step closer to Waingate and Castle Markets being bullbozed :)

Bring on the bullBozing it sounds interesting.

I'd disagree. They're bringing markets into the 21st century and will hopefully encourage people to return and use them like their parents did.

Bury Market got a modern makeover and is still very popular - coach companies even do day trip specials to the place which shows it has potential. Imagine if Sheffield got its act together and could tap into that business?

Was the Market area in Bury moved to a location on the edge of Town.

Doncaster has also had a make over and still sits in its traditional area along side the old fish and outdoor Markets.

The area is now thriving due to this. What is happening in Sheffield is the exact opposite.

Doncaster has also had a make over and still sits in its traditional area along side the old fish and outdoor Markets.

The area is now thriving due to this. What is happening in Sheffield is the exact opposite.

Edge of town????? I beg your pardon?

Typical of the Sheffield Forum that the council are damned if they do and damned if they don't! If they didn't build the new market they'd be accused of letting the town die and the castle market being a disgrace yet by building it the very same people are complaining it's too new and shiny and the council shouldn't be spending money on a new market! Some people will just complain about anything and everything!

I for one can't wait for the new market and congratulate Sheffield Council on showing some ambition for once.

Edge of town????? I beg your pardon?

Typical of the Sheffield Forum that the council are damned if they do and damned if they don't! If they didn't build the new market they'd be accused of letting the town die and the castle market being a disgrace yet by building it the very same people are complaining it's too new and shiny and the council shouldn't be spending money on a new market! Some people will just complain about anything and everything!

I for one can't wait for the new market and congratulate Sheffield Council on showing some ambition for once.

I wouldn't let the warped views of the minority (cuttsie and the other one) blinker you into thinking the rest of us feel this way. Exactly the opposite, the majority of us are in favour of the new market and cannot wait for the old to be demolished and removed from the landscape.

I for one am really looking forwards to the new market opening. How can you say it is on the edge of town? The way the city centre is at the moment Castle Markets are on the edge of town and the sooner they pull them down and redevelop the area the better. I used to love going into the Castle and Sheaf Markets in the 60's, 70's and 80's but lets put it blunt its been left to become a rundown slum that must be a nightmare for the traders to keep clean.

While they are pulling the market down carry on and pull down the monstosity that has blighted Sheffield since the 70's, the former Manpower Sevices building and open up the area.

I for one am really looking forwards to the new market opening. How can you say it is on the edge of town? The way the city centre is at the moment Castle Markets are on the edge of town and the sooner they pull them down and redevelop the area the better. I used to love going into the Castle and Sheaf Markets in the 60's, 70's and 80's but lets put it blunt its been left to become a rundown slum that must be a nightmare for the traders to keep clean.

While they are pulling the market down carry on and pull down the monstosity that has blighted Sheffield since the 70's, the former Manpower Sevices building and open up the area.

Re BIB. Does anyone know... Is that building fully used? I know that some SCC people will be moving into it, but didn't know if that would be to take it all, or just part of it. Are some SCC people already there?

Re BIB. Does anyone know... Is that building fully used? I know that some SCC people will be moving into it, but didn't know if that would be to take it all, or just part of it. Are some SCC people already there?

Moorfoot is being refurbished, floor by floor. Part of the council "masterplan" is to not renew leases on numerous buildings and move as many people as possible into Moorfoot (and three other core building, Howden House being another) as leases expire. Quite a number of people in there but not full by any means.

Also part of the "masterplan" is to have 7 people sharing 10 desks :suspect::suspect:

Edited by No User Name