Babies ear piercing.

So far nobody has defended piercing babies's ears.

I agree with everyone else who has posted so far; it's barbaric.

But if nobody disagrees this discussion will grind to a halt.

Perhaps I will start those five other threads after all as this thread is going nowhere!

I'm afraid that I also agree that the piercing of babies and young childrens ears should be classed as child abuse and banned.

For many many years I've thought this and I've never been able to understand just why any parent would inflict such pain on their baby! I also wonder how they would feel if the baby accidentally ripped the earing out.

My 10 month old grandaughter is teething and as a result is allways pulling at her ears.........I shudder to think what might happen if her ears had been pierced!

The only reason that I can think of for any parent to subject their baby to such an ordeal is for their own vanity and because they view their baby as a fashion accessory!

Only one of my two daughters wanted their ears piercing and that one was 14+ before she decided to go ahead with it. She suffered from severe allergic reactions to whatever sort of earings she tried to wear so that was a waste of money.

Do I have mine pierced? Not flippin likely.lol. I'll wear the other sort of rings......the ones with diamonds in which fit very nicely on my fingers. :hihi:

Hygiene, and in some cases it can be too tight and cause further problems so has to be removed. Can't think of a single case where ear piercing has enhanced someones health.

Some hundreds of years ago, sailors had their ears pierced because they had a superstition that piercing their ears gave them clearer sight...

More than a bit weird, eh? Along the lines of "I want to hear better, so I'll just chop off my little finger..."

The only reason that I can think of for any parent to subject their baby to such an ordeal is for their own vanity and because they view their baby as a fashion accessory!

YES agreed!

I'm another who doesn't like to see babies and small children with their ears pierced. What motivates parents to have their babies ears pierced?

So does anyone know why there are no age restriction laws for this?

My hubbys cousins daughter has hers pierced. They did it at about 6 months, I dont like it. She just has little studs in. Her Mums friend took her even younger baby to have hers done too. She had hoops in hers. One day both babied playing together, and one of the hoops went missing. No sign anywhere. Hubbys cousins baby pooed it out the next morning :gag:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

So does anyone know why there are no age restriction laws for this?

I think there are laws but it would seem that it only applies if you're not the guardian. If you are the guardian you are allowed to abuse your children..violently. It would seem.

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 04:48 ----------

So far nobody has defended piercing babies's ears

It would seem it's indefensible..which beggars the question why as a society we allow it? Peer pressure? Cultural? Very poor educational standards? Poor or non- existent ethical characteristics? No empathy with suffering/pain (even if they excuse it as for a short period only)

Non of the above IMO are defenses but they could go a way to the reasons to enable the debate to go further.

And the good reason to chop a baby's foreskin off is?

To adhere to a religious custom,I believe,but it is usually Middle eastern babies who receive this treatment.

---------- Post added 11-01-2013 at 08:15 ----------

Some hundreds of years ago, sailors had their ears pierced because they had a superstition that piercing their ears gave them clearer sight...

More than a bit weird, eh? Along the lines of "I want to hear better, so I'll just chop off my little finger..."

I thought the ears were pierced to enable a gold sleeper to be fitted covering their funeral expenses.

I don't agree with it, as a parent you make choices for your child until they are old enough to do so themselves. A lot of parents choose to use their children as real life dolls to dress up and parade around for their own benefit and I think the ear piercing is a part of that mentality some parents have.

And don't get me started on the piercing guns that are used on most of the kids having their ears done. Wait until the child is old enough to choose for themselves, explain to them what happens and take them to a reputable piercing studio and have it done properly with a needle, not a gun. They should be made illegal.

Edited by oneforeff
spelling