READ Farmers READ

Is there any farmers out there or around sheffield that will let

Me go on there land with a metal detector I will split the finds 50/50 thanks

Half a bottle top.Most tempting.

Half two rare bottle tops is still not worth having basically a trainspotter with a bit of kit on your land for days.

Ha well I did find about 4-7 roman coins plus a ring so if all u gunna do is rite silly crap then don't bother at lest I'm askin instead of just goin on land

Is there any farmers out there or around sheffield that will let

Me go on there land with a metal detector I will split the finds 50/50 thanks

well that is the law surely....and if its old it has to be reported to the relevant authorities as treasure trove..so it can be recorded and bought by the nation if it's of historical significance.......

otherwise metal detecting is theft?

No it's not theft they give you ask if you want it puttin in the log book of history finds so be for you come with that look on the kida

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 23:43 ----------

Not been funny but a lot of people have been that and it's rong we have the choise of selling it or keeping it

I believe there is a club in Sheffield, It see to all the permissions etc might be worth looking at.

And yes - Fair play you are asking and not just trespassing, you deserve credit for that.

The only Yorkshire club I can see is in Doncaster.

As long as you are reporting all your finds to the proper authority, there is nothing wrong with metal detecter'ing.

Have a look on some local maps and aerial photographs from the likes of google maps and see if there are any farms near any interesting earthworks in your area. Then drop the local farmer/land owner a nice letter asking permission.

Half two rare bottle tops is still not worth having basically a trainspotter with a bit of kit on your land for days.

What's the problem with letting the guy wander around a field for a day? Even if you don't make 1/2 a bottle top out of it.

There was something on Countryfile last year about this. Too many people are turning up at night to detect, and selling their finds to US collectors on Ebay, as well as causing distress to animals, damaging crops, and leaving gates open.

Best thing to OP could do is join a local club who will "vet" true fans of the hobby and will have made arrangements with certain landowners.