Someone else feeding our cat - what to do?

I think some people feed cats thinking they might be strays, they don't do it to try and steal the cat. I'd suggest a polite note on your cat's collar asking for it not to be fed.

People used to think my family had 3 cats as they were always in our house, in fact they were my neighbours. She was out at work all day and although she had a cat flap, the cats prefered to be in our house curled up on someones knee! Our neighbour knew about it though and didn't mind. I wouldn't have let them in the house otherwise.

Cats are walking stomachs. They will eat and eat, even to the point of throwing up! and they will accept(?steal!) food wherever they will find it.

I've had similar problems with a cat of mine. He goes to the old folks home nearby, and begs from them, and pretends he's "Just a poore starvin hungry ikkle Kitty-cat!"

He then comes home and often won't eat the food I put down for him.

I've only ever seen cats catch fish in cartoons

Yes me too. Our cats never bothered with the fish in our pond.

I had a cat that owned everyone in the street.

We heard him being called my several people by several names.

We even had kids crying at the door one day saying how we'd stolen their cat- when we presented him to them after having him desexed and asked for th $200 vet bill, they decided he wasn't theirs any more.

We loved it.

People would swap stories of his antics at the corner shop...... Which the cat also owned. Hahahaha.

He was a bit like Red Dog

I've only ever seen cats catch fish in cartoons

Yes me too. Our cats never bothered with the fish in our pond.

My sister had a barmy bengal... She also keeps tropical fish. (4 massive tanks' worth)

In his time, Tiger, the little ratbag, had in-numerous fish from the tanks. We thought he might have been a trout tickling poacher expert in a past life...!

The bad little beggar even caught and killed a parakeet which foolishly escaped, and landed on the green, outside my sister's house.

Lots of noise, and a flurry of green feathers, and it was one of those "Ex-" parakeets!

over 20yrs ago now, we got a new neighbour next door to where we used to live. I came home one day with my then 2 toddlers & she was cleaning our rabbit hutch out ( I thought cheeky cow ) she explained that when she sees me cleaning it out shes noticed I am frightened to pick the rabbit up so she thought she would help me by cleaning it out for us. I told her although I am scared of rabbits it belongs to my 2 children & they love to pick her up & play with her. I thanked her but said I would prefer to clean it out myself. To my knowledge she didn't clean it again. A year later we got a kitten, months went by & I noticed the cat was coming home less & less & wasn't eating, I took her to the vet, after having her checked over vet said there was nothing wrong with her could someone else be feeding her. I said I didn't think so. Anyway a couple of weeks later she didn't come when I called her at night. My 2 little ones were upset because she didn't come home I had a terrible restless night worried about her. 2 days went by & there was no sign of her, I went to houses up & down the street with her photo & asked if anyone had seen her, no one had. A week later I was hanging the washing out & noticed something move in our next door neighbours window, I looked again & our cat was sat on her window sill. I was furious, I banged on her door but no one was in. When I saw her coming home I collared her & demanded she give us our cat back. She said it was raining last week so she brought her in. I told her she was nosy & needed to mind her own business & get herself her own animals. She went & got our cat for me. From that day our cat totally changed she wouldn't let us hold her she scratched the children & me, she just stalked the door making weird noises. After keeping her in for nearly three weeks I thought it was cruel so I let her out again but followed her, she went next door & starting meowing at their back door. I couldn't do anything. Has the weeks went by we saw less & less of her, she randomly came home & would rarely eat what we gave her. We sold the house a year later. I tried to get our cat in a few days before we moved but she was having none of it. So on the day we moved I went & asked the neighbour if she wanted our cat, she gladly accepted her ( I could see our cat sat on her kitchen chair ). I think people should leave cats alone & not feed them - obviously unless they know for certain they don't belong to someone

I had a cat that owned everyone in the street.

We heard him being called my several people by several names.

We even had kids crying at the door one day saying how we'd stolen their cat- when we presented him to them after having him desexed and asked for th $200 vet bill, they decided he wasn't theirs any more.

We loved it.

People would swap stories of his antics at the corner shop...... Which the cat also owned. Hahahaha.

He was a bit like Red Dog

That is brilliant! That cat is a player!

you can get collars that say "please dont feed me I'm diabetic". Asking politely may not help, but if they think it has a medical condition that should do the trick. You need to get on it ASAP. One of my cats eventually left home because he was getting fed elsewhere :(

I have 5 cats, 2 from rescue and three strays, l have had them for over eight years now, they have a cat flap and come and go as they wish, but they all stay, its cats that decide for themselves and not the owners. You own a dog, but cats own you.

I have 5 cats, 2 from rescue and three strays, l have had them for over eight years now, they have a cat flap and come and go as they wish, but they all stay, its cats that decide for themselves and not the owners. You own a dog, but cats own you.

I have had many cats, they too have a cat flap and come and go as they please, but if someone else is feeding them it can lure them away. This particular lady lives in the middle of fields where my other cat used to go hunting. He'd be out all day but always come home for food. When he realised he could get food closer to his hunting ground he stopped coming home full stop. He was happy down there and that was that. If the other lady hadn't started feeding him he'd still be coming home for his tea and stopping for a cuddle before going back out for the night shift :(