2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Had a great day today watching tour de France come up herries road, great turn out. A bit dissapointed with the council though, I thought they would decorate the streets a bit better rather than just put up some cut out yellow bikes stuck to lamposts, just wish they would do more In Sheffield :)

Edited by funkymum2

What a day! The crowds at Jenkin were friendly, enthusiastic, well behaved and numerous. By the time many of the riders reached Jenkins they were done, lots of grimacing and pained faces, the perfect bike race. Now time for a curry and the race replay.

Apart from the stabbing/slashing that occurred. Have to say I was there early doors and saw no build up to this.

Did anyone watch it from Grenoside? It was great seeing such good turnout, I wasn't expecting that.

We were just up from the Cow and Calf.

Had a lovely day out and the weather stayed kind to us all, although my legs are knackered now.

I was surprised the Cow and Calf didn't open an outside bottle bar, because the place was rammed with customers queuing about 20 deep outside of the door....we didn't bother.

Regards

Doom

I walked out from Wadsley to the middle of Kirk Edge Road where I thought it might be less packed, but hundreds of others had the same idea it seems. Even traffic jams on the footpath coming back!

Must say the caravan part of it was distinctly underwhelming (there was a rumour that a girl on the other side of the road got a free fridge magnet but I can't confirm it) but the actual race was a bit better, especially as they were spread out a bit more than they were yesterday.

Must say the caravan part of it was distinctly underwhelming (there was a rumour that a girl on the other side of the road got a free fridge magnet but I can't confirm it) but the actual race was a bit better, especially as they were spread out a bit more than they were yesterday.

haha same here ... but we did see a woman clutching a free box of Yorkshire tea ... eee bah gum :hihi:

Didn't the organisers consider the Snake Pass?? seems a no-brainer to me!

Remember it's the Yorkshire Grand Départ. The route had to try and avoid other county's as much as possible. So it's logical why they turned left at the bottom of Holme Moss and not right.

I walked out from Wadsley to the middle of Kirk Edge Road where I thought it might be less packed, but hundreds of others had the same idea it seems. Even traffic jams on the footpath coming back!

You must have been near us. I thought it'd be busy but nowhere near that busy.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Remember it's the Yorkshire Grand Départ. The route had to try and avoid other county's as much as possible. So it's logical why they turned left at the bottom of Holme Moss and not right.

I loved the choice of route, great seeing my favorite driving places on the TV and it has actually made me consider riding for the first time, hope I'm not alone.

Agree with what others have said before me, the caravan was very underwhelming,

having seen the videos online of previous years it appears the parade element was very much scaled back and giveaways were few and far between.

The dancers charged with entertaining whilst being driven by were lacklustre and some were just sitting in their vans not bothering at all.

The caravan was very much behind schedule according to the events volunteers I was stood near - quite dissapointed in that aspect of things.

Plus points were how well behaved everyone was along Herries Road area of the route, a real friendly family atmosphere, nobody got in the way and everyone did as told and it had a wonderful community vibe, from that point of view I would welcome such an event in the future.

Also glad the weather held out, it was a beautiful day and I'm by no means a tour de france fan but the event itself won me over on the day.

Well done Sheffielders, you did the city and yourselves proud :) x