The Arctic Monkeys megathread

ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music  

278 members have voted

1. 1. ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music

• New and original Band who will be THE sound of 2006
    • Disposable Oasis rip-off crap with no talent whatsoever
    • Pretentious non-original superhyped rubbish that will last less than 1 year
    • The Greatest band to come out of Sheffield....EVER
    • Other Sheffield bands, past and present have much more talent
    • Never heard of the Arctic Monkeys

I've got the album (got a review copy through) and it's excellent. Some die-hard fans may not like it as every song has been re-recorded but the raw edge is still there.

Fake Tales has a very funny lyric change (won't mention it on here as this is a family forum, but it's in place of "the band aren't very good") but all in all I prefer the original. The others still sound great though, and they've not been ruined like Bigger Boys was.

Best tracks? A Certain Romance, Mardy Bum, Still Take You Home and Dancing Shoes for me.

As others have mentioned, it's out on the 23rd, preceded a week beforehand by the single of When The Sun Goes Down (aka Scummy for those who know the demo versions).

I think it'll be a massive hit for them - for me, they're already better than Oasis or The Libertines were at this stage in their career. The true test will come with the second album though - up till now Alex has been writing about observations of everyday life, whether his lyrics will be the same once he's a fully fledged rock star is one to ponder.

Personally, I think they've got the talent to succeed long-term, as long as the hype doesn't overwhelm them.

its gonna be one of the best albums ever!

Real tales of san fransico for instance.

Where did you get the review copy from out of interest

Originally posted by carcrash

Real tales of san fransico for instance.

Where did you get the review copy from out of interest

I write for a music website (http://www.musicomh.com if you're interested), so I'm going to do a review. Not got round to it yet though!

There was a thread up a bit ago about these guys...

I just got the album copy today - Has anyone else heard it?

As expected, the songs have changed a little, Mardy Bum is a lot slower on the album - not quite as good as the demo in my opinion, but there ya go.

Everything else, it seems, has improved!

Scummy (now called "When the sun goes down") has been remade and it sounds great!

Overall, I'm really impressed! Great album! One thing the re-recoring does is makes the songs sound less 'samey'.

These guys are gonna make it BIG!

Good Luck Monkeys!

You can check out their new video here

Spot those Sheffield locations!

Anyone manage to get tickets?

Think they sold out before they even went on sale after a leak on their fan site.

I would have just chucked um on ebay anyway :wink:

They didn't go on sale at Jack's Records until 10am, and ticketweb only had the gig listed from 10am.

A colleague (after my tip off) got two tickets from ticketweb.

You need to show your credit card on the night apparently which should hopefully stop tickets going for stupid prices on Ebay.

I'm gutted I couldn't make it myself!

Think there already reaching upwards of £100 already!

Would not have the heart to sell them if I had managed to get some because its quite a gig!

Don't get me wrong; I think they have some decent songs, but I'm getting bored of hearing about them now!!

Fair play to them for getting a number one and all that...

But there are far better bands around (especially locally) who deserve more recognition than the Arctic Monkeys...

Every time I come on here I see a new thread started about them, (I know this is another one, but it's a rant so it doesn't count :rolleyes:

nope.. not me, sorry.. I'm not at all sick of hearing about them! :hihi:

They're great and I can't wait to see them at the octagon on the 7th. I do think there should be one monkeys megathread tho so that all the non monkeys fans on here don't have to put up with a zillion arctic monkeys threads!