The Arctic Monkeys megathread

ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music  

278 members have voted

1. 1. ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music

• New and original Band who will be THE sound of 2006
    • Disposable Oasis rip-off crap with no talent whatsoever
    • Pretentious non-original superhyped rubbish that will last less than 1 year
    • The Greatest band to come out of Sheffield....EVER
    • Other Sheffield bands, past and present have much more talent
    • Never heard of the Arctic Monkeys

at the end of the day - its each to their own...

some people like rock, others like pop, some like rap and others like folk

those who say that arctic monkeys are bland - are you deaf???

Originally posted by PuressenceUK

Totally over-rated band. Yet another example of how hype can take over substance.

(please also see Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand or any other band the NME has written more than 5 words about in the last 3 years)

For the sake of DECENT music please click my sig link!

bollards..

the kaiser chiefs (who i am fan of) and franz ferdinand (who i am not) are hardly "hype over substance".. they have quite a unique sound (at least, as unique as you can be within the confines of pop music) and definitely an energy and image not found in other acts..

arctic monkeys just look like 4 students in matalan t-shirts, and sound a bit like a poor man's version of The Coral.. their first release grew on me, but only to the point where i thought "yeah, it's not bad".. the new one i think sounds pretty much the same to be honest..

i think we can all agree on coldplay though - oi, martin! go and do some fair trade charity work or something! anything to stop you sullying our charts with your meandering, melancholoic, moribund cack..

Originally posted by modders

at the end of the day - its each to their own...

some people like rock, others like pop, some like rap and others like folk

that's a bit closed minded! it defo is not "each to their own".. i think more and more people these days are widening their musical horizons.. personally, my CD collection contains all sorts - the stranglers, mylo, vanessa mae, carcass, pendulum, kaiser chiefs, ministry, orbital, kt tunstall, scratch perverts, front line assembly, the sugababes, dj zinc, etc. etc.. and i won't even start on my vinyl collection!

the very fact that people have such wide tastes is what enables them to differentiate between good (e.g. kaiser chiefs) and bad (e.g. james blunt)..

They're ok, nothing spectacular. Better than most other acts in the charts though.

It's a sad reflection of the UK charts that 'I Bet You Look Good on The Dancefloor' was the best UK number 1 since Prodigy's 'Firestarter'.

Originally posted by Halibut

mardy bum

That's part of the problem, the music press and others are getting excited because they used the phrase "Mardy bum" in one of their songs. Well woppie ****e, if that is all it takes to drum up a bit of excitment, I'll write a song with "pikelet" or some other local word in it!

Well.

I think that they're an awesome band. Down to earth sheffield gents who dont even want the hype.

I think we'll see next week when the album comes out the real hype to begin. I'm just hoping that they stick to their roots, which I think they will, and keep churning out head-bopping tunes like they are doing at the moment.

Looking forward to dancing like a mad man in the leadmill on Saturday to fake tales of san fransisco...

Originally posted by dirtybobby

bollards..

the kaiser chiefs (who i am fan of) and franz ferdinand (who i am not) are hardly "hype over substance".. they have quite a unique sound (at least, as unique as you can be within the confines of pop music) and definitely an energy and image not found in other acts..

arctic monkeys just look like 4 students in matalan t-shirts, and sound a bit like a poor man's version of The Coral.. their first release grew on me, but only to the point where i thought "yeah, it's not bad".. the new one i think sounds pretty much the same to be honest..

i think we can all agree on coldplay though - oi, martin! go and do some fair trade charity work or something! anything to stop you sullying our charts with your meandering, melancholoic, moribund cack..

I have to agree - Coldplay are MOR waffle alot of the time. (Chris seems like a nice bloke tho so I'll let him off)

Franz Ferdinand are good, though not so unique as they used to sound as every other band appearing these days seems to have that kind of sound and look.

Kaiser Chiefs - WELL overhyped!!! I thought I would like them on the strength of a single or two I'd heard but I have to say the album is decidedly poor now I've heard the whole thing. I was quite suprised considering how much of a big thing they were in 2005.

Arctic Monkeys are SOOOOO much better than the Coral!

There is a wealth of quality songs on the new Arctic Monkeys album and they're great live. I'm sure they're going to be massive and deservedly so. They're full of energy and raw talent and a good honest down to earth northernness!!!

I'm really proud they're from Sheffield. When was the last time something good came out of Sheffield?!

Dream on.

The only place you'll find any spare is ebay and similar.

£90 plus on ebay, and that's not even for Sheffield!!

New single out tomorrow- I don't normally like contributing to record company profits but on this occasion, i reckon everyone should pop out in their lunch hour, pick up the single, and give them a boost (if they need one!), for the sake of the city's reputation if nothing else!!!!!

id buy it if it was a good single..but its not.

fake tales .... and mardy bum are the great songs. after that im not that bothered. not slaggin them off...just think there is FAR too much hype over everything they do.