Loyalist foolishness

Harland and Wolff, the big ship builders in Belfast always took men who had Scottish or English names first when hiring. My grandfather was one of the luckier ones. He was employed on a regular basis and helped build the Titanic.

Broke his heart when the ship went diown

That’s a great bit of history to be connected to the Titanic.

Did someone mention this pub in Scarborough?

You mentioned it.

Are you a frequent visitor?

No papists allowed in this pub.:suspect:

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 21:10 ----------

Every year they would parade with bands playing and banners flying through the Catholic neighbourhoods just to remind them of that.

They had the first ever parade in Harrogate a couple of weeks ago..There was a little objection beforehand, but it all went off peacefully.They are very refined in Harrogate.

Edited by janie48

You mentioned it.

No Janie. I do spend a lot of time in Scarborough and it was only two years ago that I noticed the Orange Marches there. I was quite shocked and asked around. It seems that they march there every year and have a strong association with the pub. I never go in there as it's a dump.:)

I have not got any Irish connections whatsoever, nor religious ones.

You mentioned it.

They had the first ever parade in Harrogate a couple of weeks ago..There was a little objection beforehand, but it all went off peacefully.They are very refined in Harrogate.

I defy them to parade wearing orange when the Saint Patricks Day parade takes place in New York :)

I went to a civic reception at Belfast City Hall some years ago and was made to feel most welcome. The rioters in the UK last year got seriously sentenced while I suspect the rioters in Belfast are written-off as collateral damage. I wonder how many have been identified and charged.

It's almost like the angry muslim situation where there are peolpe whipping-up hatred and making sure that it is delivered to the right place at the right time.

Both sides of the religious divide in all of Ireland are very socially conservative. Abortion is banned in Northern Ireland as it is in Eire. I wouldn't like to line up with either side but as the lesser of two evils I prefer the Republicans to the Loyalists as Ireland should be reunited. Whether that would lead to progressive, secular government is a moot point.

As the lesser of two evils you prefer Republicans :suspect:

Would that include those still involved in terrorist activity :huh:

Harley most people that attend that don't even know who st Patrick is let alone orange men, that Parades a joke.

Wasnt St Patrick from England who was kidnapped by Irish pirates and kept as a slave until he was freed and then converted the heathen Irish to Christianity?