Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

My boiler is 10 years old but it's not a condensing one and I've had most rads replaced but the pipe work is very old. Had a power flush done last year and pipes withstood that but ever since I have no hot water. I now have to put the emersion on if I want hot water which is very inefficient.

How did you have a boiler put in and keep the immersion heater ? I wanted to keep our immersion heater as a standby but they told us you can't have an immersion heater and a boiler.

How did you have a boiler put in and keep the immersion heater ? I wanted to keep our immersion heater as a standby but they told us you can't have an immersion heater and a boiler.

It depends if you had a combi then no you can't if you still have a cylinder then you can. hope that helps

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 19:13 ----------

MOD

Why is there two boiler threads the old one keeps becoming active then inactive ?

just worried it will confuse forummers who are cold and looking for advice !

It depends if you had a combi then no you can't if you still have a cylinder then you can. hope that helps

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 19:13 ----------

MOD

Why is there two boiler threads the old one keeps becoming active then inactive ?

just worried it will confuse forummers who are cold and looking for advice !

Thank's yes it was a combi. Though I did notice that the scrap value of the old hot water tank did not figure in the bill for the new boiler.

Thank's yes it was a combi. Though I did notice that the scrap value of the old hot water tank did not figure in the bill for the new boiler.

Nor did the skip for removing all your rubbish ! If your plumber didnt remove rubbish or chargeg you to then take up with him ! a cylinder is worth around £30 in scrap value, Skips cost £80 !(cylinders are on average 10 Kg copper is £3.00 per kg less 30% income tax as any monies from scrap are paid by bacs = around £23) I would much rather customer good rid of everything it would be easier for me !!

Nor did the skip for removing all your rubbish ! If your plumber didnt remove rubbish or chargeg you to then take up with him ! a cylinder is worth around £30 in scrap value, Skips cost £80 !(cylinders are on average 10 Kg copper is £3.00 per kg less 30% income tax as any monies from scrap are paid by bacs = around £23) I would much rather customer good rid of everything it would be easier for me !!

What bit of rubbish there was, we got in our bin.

Well Like I said you should have clarified with your plumber if you wanted to keep the old cylinder ! There is also a big difference with a householder and trade waste !

Well Like I said you should have clarified with your plumber if you wanted to keep the old cylinder ! There is also a big difference with a householder and trade waste !

Well he did give us what I considered a very good price, so it could be that the scrap value was factored in, just that the invoice didn't mention it.

Any Gas dudes feel like giving me some ideas?

Hidden behind the electric fire in my lounge is this

2013-11-23124620.jpg

I'd much rather have gas and the hole goes to an outside wall (been bricked back up in the past)

2013-11-23124653.jpg

What options do i have a reinstate a gas fire? The obvious answer would be one of those free standing balanced flue jobs, but they look horrible and i'd rather have something a bit more modern looking.

Realistically, what options to i have to get a gas fire back in here?

Edited by littlebasher

Your best option would be Gas Flair on leppings Lane 0114 233 7178, they should be able to show you what they have in stock. You should be able to find a fire with a power flue which is rear entry.For this you do need electirc and gas so efficiency is not as good as a balanced flue, which is gas only.

If you need anymore help call us on 0114 3520017

---------- Post added 25-11-2013 at 16:18 ----------

2013-11-23124620.jpg

I'd much rather have gas and the hole goes to an outside wall (been bricked back up in the past)

2013-11-23124653.jpg

What options do i have a reinstate a gas fire? The obvious answer would be one of those free standing balanced flue jobs, but they look horrible and i'd rather have something a bit more modern looking.

See response by dac1 below :)

2013-11-23124620.jpg

2013-11-23124653.jpg

Most likely an old balanced flue gas fire does the chimney back on to an external wall?

Most likely an old balanced flue gas fire does the chimney back on to an external wall?

Yeah, backs onto the outside wall, looks like its been bricked by up when whatever fire was there was removed

Even has a dodgy crimped gas pipe at the bottom!

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/littlebasher/media/2013-11-23124712.jpg.html

Could the marble be cut out to accommodate a recessed balanced flue fire such as the Flavel Calibre ?

You will need a fan flued gas fire. It may also be worth checking whether the gas is live by a gas engineer mind!