Comet Liquidation Sale

surely its the shops trying to make more money thats at fault if they were cheaper people wouldnt use the internet for buying

Comet was not making money even though they were more expensive than the net.

Very difficult to compete with the likes of Amazon with such a low cost base due to not having storres and all the expenses that go with it,not to mention their tax affairs!!!

At present consumers have the best of both worlds a shop ro view and try products then they can buy them cheaper on the net question is will that last. on most retail parks there will now only be one major retailer to see products, currys/pcworld so the competition excluding the net is far less than it was previously.

And most if not all the money Dixons group (Currys pc world ect) make is not from hardware sales imo.

Went in Comet for some printer ink, at the cost of a single colour ink in Comet I can get an official twin pack from Wilkinsons for not much more in price so no wonder these major electrical retailers are going bust, they should try and price match instead of being ignorant.

Read all the posts with great interest, and my take on the matter is as follows:-

1, I agree, it will be a shame when / if Comet does close down, I think Currys will pick up a lot more trade as a result (less compertition = higher prices).

2, With regards Apple products not been discounted at all - I think Apple have grown to be such a dominant brand, that I would not be suprised if there was not a contractual agreement stressing its products cannot be sold below a certain price - brand protection.

3, I think the "sales" or "bargins" need to be taken with a pinch of salt.... I know its not always the case, but I think lot of the times the retailers never loose out - they still make a profit, just not as much. I have heard from friends in the DIY trade, that tins of paint, "Jo public" buys for £25, only costs a few pounds - so even in a half price sale, the tills are not going to be short. I know its not always true - but look when the Original Sony Playstation came out, and it was selling for £250+, in its final days, you could get them from HMV, Game, Argos for around £70 (not in a sale, just there normal selling price), and I dont think Sony would be making them so cheap if they were not still making a tidy profit.

4, I always find it funny, when certain stores have adverts like "Less than half price!", and in the small print, it states that the "infalted" price was only cahnged for a quiet week back in may sometime for a few days.

5, As a member of the public, I do think we here all still get the bad end of the stick, often paying alot more for items than other countries (still remember the uproar a few years ago, when it was all over the press, cars that we buy here, where many thousands of pounds over in France and places... probably still are).

Anyway, I think I have had my 2 pence worth (or 1p worth in my amazing sale offer).

They were selling all unboxed display stuff at 50% off on Saturday when I went in. Except Apple products. I got a pc for £175. There was no signs in the shop stating this, I overheard a member of staff telling someone.

Everyone likes a bargain but........but. If you buy anything from Comet you need to be aware that you will not be covered by any guarantee. You contract is with the Retailer not the Manufacturer so if Comet goes down the tubes you lose. Even if the remains of Comet is bought by another group or consortium your guarantee is still worthless because the new owners have no obligations for any goods sold by the previous owners.

This happened when BestBuy went bust last December, customers thinking they had bought a bargain but without any guarantee. The only option is an overpriced 3rd party warranty sold to you by the ever helpful 'Customer Advisor'

Your money. Your choice.

If you buy anything from Comet you need to be aware that you will not be covered by any guarantee. You contract is with the Retailer not the Manufacturer so if Comet goes down the tubes you lose.

What utter tripe. If you buy a Sony TV it comes with a Sony warranty. If you buy an HP computer it comes with an HP guarantee.

What utter tripe. If you buy a Sony TV it comes with a Sony warranty. If you buy an HP computer it comes with an HP guarantee.

Really?

So you are now this forum's Sale of Goods Act and Warranty expert?

If you purchase a TV from a retailer your contract is with him/her NOT the manufacturer.

If you want to make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act you have several possible ways of resolving your issue, depending on the circumstances and on what you want done.

Your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must make any claim against the retailer.

However, the Sale of Goods Act doesn’t apply to goods you've bought on hire purchase (HP).

Instead the Supply of Goods Impied Terms Act 1973 applies, which makes the HP company responsible for the quality of the goods supplied and gives you slightly different rights.

Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Read the SoGA before leaping to your keyboard. You might learn something.

You don't need to be a "Sale of Goods Act and Warranty expert" to know that a manufacturer's warranty is still valid if the retailer you bought the goods from goes bust.

You don't need to be a "Sale of Goods Act and Warranty expert" to know that a manufacturer's warranty is still valid if the retailer you bought the goods from goes bust.

Dear God!

The OP was about Comet going under. I wrote you will not have a guarantee if you buy something from them. You started to blather on about manufacturers guarantees. Read the damn post! In the first instance any faults should be reported to the retailer, in this instance the retailer will no longer exist. Got that part? Good.

Shoppers' rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) are against the retailer, not the manufacturer. Guarantees simply give additional rights which shoppers can choose to use.You have up to six years to claim compensation from a retailer for a faulty product, far longer than you have under most guarantees. Also, rights under guarantees are only as stated in any particular guarantee. For example, it may only be a right to repair and involve you paying the cost of the carriage, which means it isn't cost-effective.

The SoGA gives consumers far more protection than a manufacturer's guarantee.

I will repeat myself. Read and understand the SoGA which is totally separate from a manufacturers guarantee to customers.

I bought my TV from John Lewis because I got a FREE 5 year warranty and the set cost me no more than one bought from Comet.

Really?

So you are now this forum's Sale of Goods Act and Warranty expert?

If you purchase a TV from a retailer your contract is with him/her NOT the manufacturer.

If you want to make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act you have several possible ways of resolving your issue, depending on the circumstances and on what you want done.

Your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must make any claim against the retailer.

However, the Sale of Goods Act doesn’t apply to goods you've bought on hire purchase (HP).

Instead the Supply of Goods Impied Terms Act 1973 applies, which makes the HP company responsible for the quality of the goods supplied and gives you slightly different rights.

Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Read the SoGA before leaping to your keyboard. You might learn something.

I'm not the forum's expert but I clearly know more than you.

You are posting tripe, giving incorrect advice and yet you still feel the need to make yourself look more stupid.

Perhaps you should throw your keyboard out the window rather than offering incorrect information and stupid advice.

I'm not the forum's expert but I clearly know more than you.

You are posting tripe, giving incorrect advice and yet you still feel the need to make yourself look more stupid.

Perhaps you should throw your keyboard out the window rather than offering incorrect information and stupid advice.

Instead of posting childish insults give me and others the benefits of your knowledge and give examples of why I'm wrong.

I'm waiting.............................

Why don't you both actually read the legislation or official websites summarising consumer rights?