Why has the council spent millions reducing the amount of parking in town?

Do you visit other towns and cites much?

If you did, you'd see exactly the same measures being used.

The suggestion that someone is getting back handers to do this is frankly ludicrous.

I guess your train of thought is they are complete morons then, because if it's not backhanders or something darker then their obvious lack of intelligence on all matters road proves them morons.

Looking at other countries around the world, it seems that the UK has many over paid dulwits planning the road systems.

Back handers, hmmm seems more likley than them being idiots.

Why has the council reduced the number of parking spaces along Arundel Street by put in those stupid jutting out curbs?. It has achieved exactly the same as it did in Woodseats. ie. It cost a fortune, has no benefits for traffic flow or pedestrian safety and reduces the number of parking bays in the area.

Another great victory for the car haters on the council.

HI. I once tried to get permission to widen my drop kerb by two more. Flatly refused they said if they granted this every one would apply and this would limit the number of visiting cars being able to park on road. Was told by visiting inspector they try to make people use buses not encourage families have two cars, So there it is they hate cars and want you on the buses.

Extra parking bays have been provided in Paternoster Row and Brown Street to make up for those lost in Arundel Street.

Have the number of spaces in the city centre gone down?

I can think of about 5 or 6 large multi-storey car parks built in the last ten years or so. Those spaces must total several hundred - where have the same number of on street parking spaces been lost?

Edit:

Q-Park Charles Street: 530 spaces

Q-Park Train Station: 678

Q-Park Castlegate: 403

Q-Park Rockingham Street: 531

Q-Park Riverside: 526

http://www.q-park.co.uk/parking/sheffield/q-park-charles-street (Charles Street; others linked to bottom right of page)

Can't find a page for the Eyre Street Car Park (brown one by the new markets) but I'd say at least 300 is a fairly conservative estimate?

So that's 2968 new Car Parking Spaces built in the last ten or so years.

HI. I once tried to get permission to widen my drop kerb by two more. Flatly refused they said if they granted this every one would apply and this would limit the number of visiting cars being able to park on road. Was told by visiting inspector they try to make people use buses not encourage families have two cars, So there it is they hate cars and want you on the buses.

Don't you mean, 'they know if everyone drove cars the city would die on its arse even more than it is now so they try to encourage people to use public transport'?

So, for the benefit of all motorists, they restricted your ability to personally dominate the available parking space, and you say they hate cars? Sounds like common sense from the Council and sour grapes from you in my view.

Edited by Planner1

Have the number of spaces in the city centre gone down?

I can think of about 5 or 6 large multi-storey car parks built in the last ten years or so. Those spaces must total several hundred - where have the same number of on street parking spaces been lost?

Edit:

Q-Park Charles Street: 530 spaces

Q-Park Train Station: 678

Q-Park Castlegate: 403

Q-Park Rockingham Street: 531

Q-Park Riverside: 526

http://www.q-park.co.uk/parking/sheffield/q-park-charles-street (Charles Street; others linked to bottom right of page)

Can't find a page for the Eyre Street Car Park (brown one by the new markets) but I'd say at least 300 is a fairly conservative estimate?

So that's 2968 new Car Parking Spaces built in the last ten or so years.

Council have around 1200 off street spaces and 1500 on street spaces in city centre.

Private sector have over 8000 spaces in city centre.

There is currently an over-supply of parking, not many are parks are full and many are nowhere near full.

Why has the council reduced the number of parking spaces along Arundel Street by put in those stupid jutting out curbs?. It has achieved exactly the same as it did in Woodseats. ie. It cost a fortune, has no benefits for traffic flow or pedestrian safety and reduces the number of parking bays in the area.

Another great victory for the car haters on the council.

The Council should allow more multistory carparks on Arundel Street as they have done on the parallel Eyre Street/Arundel Gate where they have recenctly allowed for 1000+ car parking spaces.

The provision of large amounts of car parking on Eyre Street/Arundel Gate has indeed reduced the amount of kerbside parking to allow car access to the car parks and wider footways for pedestrian access to and from those car parks, the bus stops and the new markets.

The Council should allow more multistory carparks on Arundel Street as they have done on the parallel Eyre Street/Arundel Gate where they have recenctly allowed for 1000+ car parking spaces.

The provision of large amounts of car parking on Eyre Street/Arundel Gate has indeed reduced the amount of kerbside parking to allow car access to the car parks and wider footways for pedestrian access to and from those car parks, the bus stops and the new markets.

The ones on Eyre St / Arundel Gate aren't full, what makes you think more are needed?

The look of this particular area has been improved dramatically and the wider pavements made for a much more pleasant walking experience. I think that hallam university had a lot to do with it as far as costs go and if it hadn't of been for the need to be able to access the car parks in the area then it could of been fully pedestrianised or made in to a full shared surface area.

The look of this particular area has been improved dramatically and the wider pavements made for a much more pleasant walking experience. I think that hallam university had a lot to do with it as far as costs go and if it hadn't of been for the need to be able to access the car parks in the area then it could of been fully pedestrianised or made in to a full shared surface area.

The surface level car parks in the area are owned by the Uni. The Council leases them. They are development sites and so are only used as car parks temporary and will eventually go as the Uni continues to build.

The ones on Eyre St / Arundel Gate aren't full, what makes you think more are needed?

^This

We could go the opposite to the perceived deliberate removal of parking as part of a hate campaign, and instead turn the city centre into a giant car park. Easy to get to, nothing to get there for.

IN RETROSPECT, perhaps a better solution might to have not had two competing multi-storeys next door to each other and the existing small NCP, and instead pushed for them to be in different locations, but I'm not sure how much say the council have with regards private development on private land