Remember Some Of The Funny Old Vehicles?

old tup

If my memory serves me right wasn't there a 3 wheel van by Jowett called the Bradford in the early 50's. Also a sporty!!!!! Berkley that you had to lift the hood,pardon me, bonnet to kick start the Villiers motorcycle engine.

Hi,

There was a van called a Bradford Jowett but it had four wheels and came in one colour:grey.

From what I remember, it had a flat two cylinder engine (The Jowett Javelin car had a flat-four engine like present-day Subaru's). You started the engine by pressing a very large (to a small kid) button in the middle of the dashboard. Can't remember how many gears it had but must likely only three.

The seats were fixed directly to the floor as this was higher than you would normally get back then, in even a car. Jowett went out of business in the early 1950's.

I used to get regular rides in a Bradford van: usually from the Wicker to Ranmoor. I remember it was always a struggle to climb up Broad Lane, even when it was empty.

All a long time ago

Regards

Do remember lots of different makes who made only a few models whereas today this is the opposite------I remember quite a few shooting brakes (now a sort of estate) and one I still recall in the 60,s was a Humber Hawk with a bright green paintwork and a wood trim---

Edited by dennisgwild
spelling

There was a van called a Bradford Jowett but it had four wheels and came in one colour:grey.

From what I remember, it had a flat two cylinder engine (The Jowett Javelin car had a flat-four engine like present-day Subaru's).

At least I remembered something that did exist,that's a relief. So what was it that I saw , it was like a 6ft box with a sloping flat front with a girder fork and

wheel (like a large motorcycle)sticking out at the front.I used to see it on Lyons Street near the Co-op and All Saints School in the early 50's.