Remember Some Of The Funny Old Vehicles?

I worked at Firth Browns steelworks on Saville Street/Carlisle Street during the 1950/60s and Scammel Scarabs were used to transport steel between workshops at that time.

c70221772bee827dff80f14544d4cbb3.jpgnice model of a firth brown scarab

c70221772bee827dff80f14544d4cbb3.jpgnice model of a firth brown scarab

Thanks alan f. I have this model, couldn't resist buying it for obvious reasons. Firth Brown still had some of the previous type in service when I worked there in the early '60s.

Hi Peter check this out on Yorkshire film archive2df20fc65144c8ace4bd5116e3ff57dd.jpg

Hi Peter check this out on Yorkshire film archive2df20fc65144c8ace4bd5116e3ff57dd.jpg

Thanks for the link Alan which shows a Firth Brown 'Big Bedford' calling 'I think' at Firth Derihon at Darley Dale, a subsiduary of Firth Brown. This has enabled me find some old cine film of Firth Brown on YFA also.

Although I was in the offices on Saville Street East in Sheffield, the last position I had was in the Central (despatch) Warehouse. I was fortunate enough at age 20 to be offered a crane driver training course so I could be relief overhead 10 ton crane driver. I used to load and unload light metal off/on the 'Scarabs' but also heavy forgings onto eight wheelers and from railway trucks. Big Tonka toys eh? I still get pleasure out of telling people I could lift ten tons with one hand 50 years ago :) Sorry if I'm drifting too far off the point.

Edited by PeterR