Anvil Inn, Stannington Road

the anvil is very strange pub,we went in there on a walkabout in the summer,its one of those pubs where when you walk in everything goes quite and everyone looks at you,you dare not sit down in case you sat in someones seat lol:hihi: :hihi:

The anvil is probably the best drinkers pub in the S6 area and as mentioned by AndyC, won CAMRA Pub of the Month for August 2005. If you are interested in the history of the pub and indeed the surrounding area, then call in one night and have a chat with Maurice, the Landlord who is fairly genned up on its history. He also has a copy of a thesis which someone did on the pub, Mousehole forge, and the history of anvil production in that area. There are also a couple of local historians who frequent the Anvil who are also clued up on the area. In the bar, there are a couple of cannon balls lying around which were found nearby.These were from the time of the Napolionic wars when there was a nearby cannon testing range and shells would be fired across the valley. There was also a gannister mine just behind the pub. The present building was built in 1934-5, but the original Anvil pub was built just behind it. Hope to see you up there sometime..........The Magnet is excellent!

Long shot on an old thread, but do they still do Magnet or does anyone still sell magnet?

Edited by scargill

I presume the pub is so called because the Mousehole forge at the bottom of the hill was a famous producer of anvils that went all over the world.

Sorry, ignore this. didn't spot earlier post.

Edited by rich tee
not reading posts properly

.... Mousehole forge, and the history of anvil production in that area...
The famous anvil at Gretna Green is supposed to have been made there
...There was also a gannister mine just behind the pub....
The Anvil gannister mine was quite extensive, which may be one reason why the land was not built on until relatively recently, being used for allotments etc. Here is what I wrote regarding the Anvil gannister mines on another thread:

One fine spring day in 1913 (according to a story passed down through the family) my great-grandmother Ann Cundey (1859-1927), who lived on Carlby Road, became only too aware of this. Doing her weekly wash, Ann decided to wheel the mangle and tub outside, as it was such a nice day. After an hour or so she went into the house for a cup of tea, and when she went out again the mangle was nowhere to be seen. It had fallen into a pit that opened up in her garden, a relic of the Anvil gannister mine.

Yes, they do still sell Magnet

Great thanks.