Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Teabag

in my time at hinde house (78-84) no teacher really stood out and caught my attention. being the non-descript kid in class none ever bothered with me.....i did my work, didnt particularly shine at anything (except when i beat a guy in my class who always came top in all the subjects - he came second to my first in sewing...lol)

miss Gwenter was particularly nice, and one or two others buti cant remember their names.

wouldnt nominate em for best teacher though:rolleyes:

I was at Hinde House between 77-81. By far the best teacher there was Steve Chisnall (English), he was only there for a couple of years before moving on to do something in the RAF (I think). :thumbsup:

I thought 'Man' Welch was the best teacher at CL.

Why did we use Man & Lass, no other school did?

Not come across this myself anywhere else - like the pics by the way!

Roe was a far better teacher and a photographic memory to boot - its a question of taste....

• 2 weeks later...
Roux Other teachers at Waltheof were Miss Sarson head of girls Mr Marshall head of boys Pop (Mr Popalswaith) head teacher Mr Cooper Mr Winters french Mr Batty science I.P.Smith and Mr Carter art. Miss Becket Mr Edwards music Mr Blaby german. Can not remember many more at the moment

Hya Mrsnoo!

I remember Mr. Marshall ... once threw my dinner tray all over him *long story* Lol! Think we used to call him 'hedgehog' on account of his hair cut! :hihi:

I also remember Mr. Winters.. he was a cutie, but he knew it! I recall Batty and Blaby although I think they were in their last year when I arrived.

Some others that come to mind... Mr. Pratt (religion), Mr. Tomlison (at the annex), Mr. Hind (math), Mr. Norris (major cutie, taught special ed), Mr. Steve Mellor (science), Mr. Wing(not sure? Math/tech?), Mr. Tiffin (geography), Mr. Griffiths (awesome - History), Mrs. Gomersall (history, I think?), Mr. Steven Booth (my favourite Science guy... gave me my first A on atest lol!), Miss Potts (home Ec.) who was dating Mr. Goodrum (wood/metal work) *phew*

:thumbsup:

Anyone remember Mr Webster at Hartley Brook in the early 60's?

Without a doubt, one of the biggest influences in my life. What a great teacher! He had the ability to make you want to delay the "4 o'clock" bell.

Probably passed away now but what a guy. I told my kids about him and I will never forget him.

Mr Dimelow at Tapton was ace, but he goes head to head with Mr Kerr (Geography teacher) for the best teacher.

I remember one occassion a few over-excited rudeboys were screaming outside our classroom, so Mr. Kerr dissapeared into the corridor. There was no sound as the door shut after him, didn't even hear a whisper but somehow the rudeboys were persuaded to leave. After a few seconds he reappeared. Good skills!

Hi Roux

Mr Blaby was still at Waltheof in 1999 when my yopungest daughter was going there. Mr Batty was a union rep for the teachers as I remember him being on the news when teachers were goin on strike sometime in the 80s.

I had to tke my youngest out of Waltheof because of bullying and they were not very helpful. She then went to a wonderful school where bullying was addressed and delt with straight away.

Still I had happy times at Waltheof but that was when teachers ruled the school not the kids who went we also had respect for most of the teachers. Right I cqan now get off the soap box.

In the late 50's, a Mr P.S. Hetherington took us for English at King Teds. We were a bit of an unruly lot and to counteract this, he'd tell us to be quiet and read us some Edgar Allan Poe. He was a good narrater and we all listened, attentively to the stories. I reckon, he instilled in a fair few of us, a love of reading and taught us that books were not all dull and boring.

I'll Nominate :-

Keith Holmes at Bradfield, used to be the Biology teacher

and

Mrs Geddes at Loxley Primary, not only did she teach me in my reception year she taught my son as well some 30 years later, I understand she retirtes later this year. So happy retirement you deserve it :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is the oldest thread Ive ever resurrected :blush:

The best teacher that I can remember was Mr Riley,Foxhill School mid-late 80's.He was a fantastic bloke,always had an exciting take on the subjects he taught,and was keen to genuinly let kids learn as opposed to just repeat text from books,parrot fashion.

He's sadly passed away now,but he'll forever be the archetypal teacher for me....