ABC Cinema, Angel St.

Chris M

I was interested to read some of the comments about the ABC. I actually worked there as a trainee projectionist from 1964 -66, when I left to go to the Odeon on Flat Street, as 2nd projectionist.

The ABC was as many have said a cinema before its time. I am going to mention a few names now that I can remember (sorry if I've missed any) .

The Manager at the time was Reg Helley, Chief projectionist was the great Don Sykes, Peter ? , Barry Fellows, my first job was as non-sync boy where I had to play the pre show, interval (sorry intermission) and title music from record and time it to the finite second for the film soundtrack to start, if it didn't I got a telling off from the chief. My first film I worked on was "the Spy who Came in from the cold" Richard Burton and Claire Bloom and we had our share of 'Road Films' having a long run with Dr Zhivago in 70mm.

The ABC as a cinema was fantastic. For anyone interested there is a Pathe Newsreel about the opening on the web. here's how to find it.....google itnsource,, click onto Welcome to itn...on home page select British Pathe..... enter in search "new Cinema for sheffield the click on welcome new cinema and the original Pathe news will play..click on view assiated and there are a host of other cinema openings, most with views of the holy of holy's the projection room.

I am interested to here from anyone who can remember the Odeon and the Abbeydale cinemas around this time.. I worked at both

A book about my exploits in the cinema will be available foc to anyone interested in early 2008................................................:heyhey:

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things I remember about the ABC when it first opened (or possibly re-opened). Unlike most large cinemas, there was no balcony, just a steeper tier of seats starting half way back. The first two rows at this level were the most expensive, at £1, and had armchair seats. It was the only cinema with a small cafeteria known as the Concourse, complete with the novelty of piped music. I remember being entertained by the organist prior to the film programme starting. The organ was a pinkish colour and was in front of the screen, on the left hand side. I only saw this once or twice after the opening, perhaps to get interest in the new cinema.

I saw "2001 a Space Odyssey" there in about 1968. It was only a U certificate film, but it frightened me to death. We we got home we were forced to read the review in the Star to try to find out what the hell it was all about, but the local film critic didn't know either. (Please don't bother to reply, I've subsequently found out!)

• 2 years later...
... I remember seeing Earthquake with the special sound system, which made everything in the cinema rumble.

I also remember seeing Earthquake there with the "Sensurround" system that gave 1500 watts of low-frequency sound. They had notices up disclaiming any responsibility if anyone had panic/heart attacks etc. At the time I thought that this was just for publicity, but apparently someone did suffer cracked ribs as a result of the vibrations, as described in the link above and also here.

as a teenager i remember films like sound of music, ben hur, spartacus, towering inferno and earthquake where the sound system made you feel you were actualy in a quake, loved going there with my girlfreind then going for a chinese at the welcome just round the corner.

Fantastic - remember the queues lining all the way up the tunnel around the corner?

I remember going to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1980. The queue went up and back down the tunnel. By the time I got to the front door, the queue behind me was still running up and back down the tunnel.

i remember going on sat morning to the abc minors

I went once, because "Spiderman" was making a live appearance that day. Now that was cool.

I also remember seeing Earthquake there with the "Sensurround" system that gave 1500 watts of low-frequency sound.

The first Battlestar Galactica TV series had it's 3 hour opening episode re-edited for overseas movie showings. I saw that film 3 times at the ABC and this had Sensurround. I must admit, it made for an impressive experience.

Archived