Turkuaz - new Turkish restaurant in Sheffield

mifein

went in on tuesday with the other half. we normally go to one of the zeugmas but figured we would give this place a try. It was very nice, we went for the meal deal, 3 starters ( homemade hummus, grilled halloumi (sp?) and something i cant remember the name of, a spicy salad/salsa thing) and 2 mains ( lamb skewer and a mixed skewer - which shouldnt have been part of the deal but the waiter let me have it :) ) all for £27, glass of house wine, two cokes, total price 33 quid. all the food was lovely, all came in a timely fashion with breads/salad/olives etc. the only real complaint was that the gf didnt like the house white wine, but the waiter (who had been friendly and helpful all night) was nice enough to offer us either a free tea or sambuca at the end of the meal when the gf told him she didnt like it, sadly we had to decline as were in a rush. Its totally different to zeugma in terms of atmosphere, more open,airy, but i do like zeugmas when you are a group of 10+ and you take over the back room, feels like your at home having a party, guess each place has its merits, at the moment id say the new place has it, mainly based on prices and the waiting staff.

I'm absolutely no expert! But Turkish cuisine is better than "just" grilled meat etc. Main thing is in good quality ingredients. I'm not one for doner kebap, but shish kebap (skewered lamb over charcoal) is tasty. I enjoy meze, the starter of a variety of small dishes, from grilled haloumi to borek (fine pastry tubes with creamy cheese and, if I recall, spinach) to excellent salads. Kleftiko (slow-roasted lamb - like a lot of dishes, similar to Greek cuisine) can be superb. Ditto adana, the lamb skewer(or kebap), kofte (meatballs) and sarma (stuffed vine-leaves). Various treatments of aubergine are good. But I never could face tripe soup.... Boring you now, I'm sure. Turkuaz does most, if not all, of these. I'm going back for a full meal next time. Give it a try - hope you enjoy!

thanks mate, appreciate that.

I like the kind of foods you mention. I have eaten at Zeugma and thought it was ok but nothing special tbh. I was once taken to a Turkish restaurant in Stoke on Trent of all God-forsaken places - and it was excellent as they had a good number of what I would call more "authentic" Turkish home-made dishes, like stews and casseroles -not just kebabs and dips.

A lot of the Turkish (and Greek) places that I've tried here are just cheap food for people on a budget and I don't want that. I've got a kettle barbecue at home and I can do grilled meats all day long - so I want something with a bit more effort in it than that.

I was once taken to a Turkish restaurant in Stoke on Trent of all God-forsaken places - and it was excellent as they had a good number of what I would call more "authentic" Turkish home-made dishes, like stews and casseroles -not just kebabs and dips.

oooh, that sounds interesting. i dont suppose you remember the name or roughly where it was?

my family is from stafford, not far from stoke, and as the folks were really impressed with their meal at lokanta they would probably travel there for a good meal.

stokes not exactly renowned for its good food so that would be a gem of a find! :o lol

x

In response to the postings here we decided to try out the Turkuaz in London Road, Sheffield. It's to be found above my favourite International shop anywhere!

We arrived at around 7.30pm without having booked (Saturday, 18th August 2012). It was busy but there were around 5 tables (each seating 4) still available. According to my count then, there were about 50 people already seated. We were given a choice of the remaining tables.

We chose the one in the corner furthest away from the many tall windows facing onto London Road. We wished we could have been sitting there so we could watch the passing night life. Great! Someone left one of these window tables and we asked to be seated there - no problem. They cleared the table, changed the table cloth and took our 1st course and drinks over.

We chatted to the staff and found that the place had been open around 6 weeks and that tonight was their busiest night so far. They mentioned that they might run a voucher offer with Social Life but on tonight's experience I believe they will find that word-of-mouth will rapidly bring them in a much larger clientele without having to 'buy' bums-on-seats.

I have opened and run my own restuarant and recognised a couple of teething issues - none of which spoilt the evening in any way.

They probably could have had a couple more staff on in both the kitchen and on the floor. Perhaps we waited 15 - 20 minutes more than you would have reasonably expected for the main courses to arrive. We had to prompt them to bring the plate of chips over and maybe they forgot to put the side salads on the plate (or in a side dish). But none of this was a show stopper in anyway!

As trade grows and becomes more certain they will get that balance right between too many staff on and not enough. We chatted to all of the front of house staff and they were charming, honest and enthusiastic - and eager to please. What more could you ask for.

My first course was the Borek at £3.00 - this was three fingers of crispy Pastry filled with feta cheese and parsley. I decided to save one of them to eat with the main course as I didn't want to feel stuffed before it arrived. These were yummy.

My main course was Lamb Chop Skewer (Pirzola) at £10.90 - lightly flavoured tender lamb chops. I got 5 of them. Tasty, juicy, flavour was delicious. A little thicker cut than I expected but none the worse for that!

We were too full to order a dessert. However we were offered complimentary teas and a Sambuka. They made this offer to everyone who was was still there (at around 10.00pm). It may have been given because they felt that they hadn't been 'perfect' enough throughout the evening but it wasn't needed. We were very happy. And I got the impression others around us also enjoyed their evening.

Other comments: The most expensive dish on the menu was £11.50. They are certainly cheaper than Zeugma also in London Road but the standard was not any less for that. The House wine was reasonably priced. The red was £11.50 a bottle (which was pretty fine) - the white was £10.50. Though Zeugma allow you to bring your own bottle (I can't recall their corkage charge though). Turkuaz also do 20% discounts if you work for NHS, Police, etc. (check their web site for full details)

Overall, we were extremely pleased with all aspects of the experience - i.e the food itself, the service, the staff and the prices. We can't wait to go back :-)

oooh, that sounds interesting. i dont suppose you remember the name or roughly where it was?

my family is from stafford, not far from stoke, and as the folks were really impressed with their meal at lokanta they would probably travel there for a good meal.

stokes not exactly renowned for its good food so that would be a gem of a find! :o lol

x

it was years ago and I haven't a clue tbh. I even had a little look on the internet for you to see if anything jogged the memory but I imagine it will have closed down now.

Good reports on this Turkuaz place so far - I'm salivating...

it was years ago and I haven't a clue tbh. I even had a little look on the internet for you to see if anything jogged the memory but I imagine it will have closed down now.

Good reports on this Turkuaz place so far - I'm salivating...

not too worry, it was a bit of a long shot. thanks for taking the time to do a bit of research :)

im very much looking forward to my meal there...just gutted ive got to wait until next month as that the next time both my dinner friend and i are free!

x

Went last night with friends. Had a good time and the food was lovely, My veggie mate was very happy with it too :) Like how you can watch the chiefs cook.

Would recommend and will go again.

If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth.If wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error JS Mill

• 2 months later...