Turkuaz - new Turkish restaurant in Sheffield

mifein

Alright mate,

I am thinking about starting a bit of a supper club most likely on Sunday evenings and just meeting up with a few people at a different restaurant each week.

Just an informal affair and people can revue restaurants if they want afterwards or not. Basically help new/existing restaurants and have a nice get together each week.

Catch you after Ramadan, but in the mean time know that I am eating your share as well ;)

Sounds like a great idea!!!

Alot better than Zeugma! And trust me it's about time. Plenty of seating so you don't feel like your sat in the lap of your fellow diners and such friendly staff unlike the tall bloke in the smaller Zeugma who seems to have a chip on his shoulder (if you don't like being a waiter, I suggest you get another job)

And food wise the quality and the taste is magnificent I did not think you can get Turkish food better than Zeugma but after eating here the other night I now know otherwise. To top it off it also has a seperate bar with plasmas tv's and pool tables which is quite a big area aswell. I can really see this place becoming very popular, very soon. Let's hope they don't decide to start to increase prices then though.

And for me and the people who went with me, who all agreed that after eating here we would NEVER return to Zeugma! Unless they drastically change their prices or something. How they get away with charging £2.50 for a can of coke that cost them about 30-40p is beyond me, but I guess when theres no competition you can get away with whatever you like.

Trust me this place needs to be tried for you to realise what you have been missing when it comes to proper quality Turkish food at reasonable prices. By the way you get 20% off aswell mon-thurs if you are a council employee, nhs, police etc.

Where do I begin? A total disaster.

Our evening out for four started pretty well. The selection of starters was very pleasant and the wine was cheap, if a little rough.

It was when we ordered a second bottle that we realised we had been waiting an hour for our main courses. As we were complaining to the staff, we noticed another couple on a nearby table doing the same. They too had been waiting a long time, mystifyingly so since a large table of Turkish people next to them had been served in reasonable time. The couple got up and left.

We stayed on the promise our meal would be there in ten minutes. And it was. My wife took one bite of her chargrilled sea bream and found it was raw in the middle. We left too.

In fairness, the manager and staff couldn't have handled it better. They made no attempt to cover up the fact that this had been a catastrophe of the highest order, and were genuinely apologetic. They offered not to charge for the meal, but we felt obliged to leave something.

Credit to the management for owning up and accepting blame. There are some restaurant owners who wouldn't have reacted so well to a genuine complaint. For that reason, we'll give it another go. But might just wait a week or two until the teething troubles settle.

...But might just wait a week or two until the teething troubles settle.

how new is it?

i bought a groupon voucher for this place about a month ago and will be planning to use it next month.

after a couple of amazing meals at lokanta at broomhill last month im looking forward to trying more turkish food :)

x

how new is it?

x

Not sure but I have been 4 times so far and had no problems - but always at quite times and on 3 of the occasions alone. On the fourth occasion I took a group of 5 friends for a late lunch (2:30ish on a Saturday) and whilst I think the mains may have taken about 45 minutes from order to arriving on the table, it was out of regular hours and we were enjoying the weather on the terrace so enjoyed our time. All of the food was very good on each of my visits and the service friendly without being pushy.

I still need to try Lokanta though the prices seem significantly higher than even Zeugma. How do people think it compares with Zeugma or Turkuaz?

I still need to try Lokanta though the prices seem significantly higher than even Zeugma. How do people think it compares with Zeugma or Turkuaz?

ill let you know next month ;) i confess ive never been to zeugma.

i actually ended up going to lokanta twice in a weekend! the friday night visit was with foodie friends visiting from london as a trial run for whether it was suitable for my even more demanding foodie parents...and it won both times!

it wasnt a cheap and cheerful meal, but it was very good value for the quality (and quantity!) of food and wine we had on both occasions.

the staff were attentive and knowledgable...although suitably cagey when my mum tried to start wheedling recipes out of them! to his credit though, the waiter did go and ask the chef my mums questions and came back with answers...albeit not quite enough info for her to nick his trade secrets! :hihi:

its a really nice place for a long sit down meal as we had on the friday, we werent rushed, just left to gossip, drink and eat and it was generally just a very relaxed atmosphere.

x