Turkuaz - new Turkish restaurant in Sheffield

mifein

Just tried for the first time the new Turkish restaurant, Turkuaz (Turkish for turquoise) on London Road. Warm welcome from manager Sunni (Sunny? Sorry, didn't check spelling) followed by excellent food. We stopped off after work, so only had a main course each, but look forward to a full meal. Having worked in Northern Cyprus, I love Turkish food, and this was excellent. Sunni/Sunny helped by explaining regional variations in Turkish food. Worth trying. Upstairs from Ozmen supermarket, more or less opposite the Cremorne pub.

Eaten here twice in the last week and a bit, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Have had the mixed skewer on both occasions as well as the Sucuk starter on the one occasion and enjoyed it all. The mixed skewer (£11.50) is a large portion comparable to Zeugmas mixed grill (£14.95); throw in a soft drink at £1.50 for Turkuaz and £1.95 for Zeugma and the disparity in cost begins to add up.

I dont know quite what the difference is but there is one between the food at the two places and in terms of my taste I would probably say that Turkuaz is better value whilst Zeugma is slightly more polished.

I will be continuing to eat at both in the future though probably on a ratio of 3 -1 in favour of Turkuaz due to the difference in value and the slightly better service.

Long may both restaurants continue to thrive and may they fuel each other to higher levels :)

We went here for a meal a couple of weeks ago. There were 9 of us, ages ranging from 3 to 73.

We were really well looked after. The food was tasty and well presented, plenty of it and plenty of choice. We used to go to Zeugma, but eventually outgrew it. For canteen style service, we seemed to be paying more and more pennies.

We liked the airiness and space of Turkuaz. It's a much pleasanter atmosphere, and the food just as good as Zeugma's. The loos were clean and well kept (this says a lot about an establishment, doesn't it?), service cheerful and we will certainly return.

One of the Turkish restaurants used to serve Albanian Liver. Sounds horrid, but we loved it. We had to call it 'tasty bites' otherwise the kids wouldn't have tried this dish - they loved it!!

Often wondered what it was, and what exactly made it Albanian.

Eaten here twice in the last week and a bit, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Have had the mixed skewer on both occasions as well as the Sucuk starter on the one occasion and enjoyed it all. The mixed skewer (£11.50) is a large portion comparable to Zeugmas mixed grill (£14.95); throw in a soft drink at £1.50 for Turkuaz and £1.95 for Zeugma and the disparity in cost begins to add up.

I dont know quite what the difference is but there is one between the food at the two places and in terms of my taste I would probably say that Turkuaz is better value whilst Zeugma is slightly more polished.

I will be continuing to eat at both in the future though probably on a ratio of 3 -1 in favour of Turkuaz due to the difference in value and the slightly better service.

Long may both restaurants continue to thrive and may they fuel each other to higher levels :)

Antony,

After Ramadan ill be joining you and rich to go there!!!

:D

Antony,

After Ramadan ill be joining you and rich to go there!!!

:D

Alright mate,

I am thinking about starting a bit of a supper club most likely on Sunday evenings and just meeting up with a few people at a different restaurant each week.

Just an informal affair and people can revue restaurants if they want afterwards or not. Basically help new/existing restaurants and have a nice get together each week.

Catch you after Ramadan, but in the mean time know that I am eating your share as well ;)

tell us a bit more about Turkish food then please? What dishes do you recommend? And does this restaurant feature any of them?

Or is it just grilled meats and pitta bread with salad and hommous?

I'm absolutely no expert! But Turkish cuisine is better than "just" grilled meat etc. Main thing is in good quality ingredients. I'm not one for doner kebap, but shish kebap (skewered lamb over charcoal) is tasty. I enjoy meze, the starter of a variety of small dishes, from grilled haloumi to borek (fine pastry tubes with creamy cheese and, if I recall, spinach) to excellent salads. Kleftiko (slow-roasted lamb - like a lot of dishes, similar to Greek cuisine) can be superb. Ditto adana, the lamb skewer(or kebap), kofte (meatballs) and sarma (stuffed vine-leaves). Various treatments of aubergine are good. But I never could face tripe soup.... Boring you now, I'm sure. Turkuaz does most, if not all, of these. I'm going back for a full meal next time. Give it a try - hope you enjoy!