Bar and Grill closed down

Quite sad really, I absolutely loved their mixed grills but I agree that the service was very hit and miss. Some nights the service would be great and then others the waitress didn't know anything at all and didn't seem to care.

As for the people on here calling it pretentious and being happy that it closed down, your level might be Wetherspoons or the local chippy but some of us actually like to experience a restaurant that is a little more upmarket.

It's a shame that a local, independent business has gone bust but then again with the attitude of people on here it's highly unlikely anything other than yet another chain would survive.

I was in Harrogate on Saturday, LOADS of Bistro and small independent eateries, none of them were cheap and I could not get a table for two in ANY of them.

I know Harrogate is very different to Sheffield, but you would think that the centre of Sheffield would be able to attract places other than Silversmiths and that they would be able to make a go of it.

Harrogate is very different to Sheffield though. Well heeled folk from Leeds and Manchester go there for the weekend for the express purpose of spending money. You don't see much of that round here.

I probably earn more than the average wage in Sheffield but I wouldn't go somewhere where the steak was £18. I do support local businesses and restaurants but, I have a mortgage to pay.

It is a sad fact that Not just Sheffield but The test of south Yorkshire rate restaurants on cost alone. If you also get a piled up plate for next to nothing that's even better, quality is not really an issue to most. I would always pay for quality.

The bar and grill opened and was run by a total incompetent. The original manager was clueless as to costs and profits, and the chef wouldn't know how to make a profit if it came and kicked him up the arse. By the time all this came to light the place was on its knees. Like I said its a pity but it's happened entirely down to incompetence.

Well I am happy its closed and the London club should be too .. too bloody expensive for me and my dog .. Sheffield doesnt need places like these no one can afford em and give us some more Wetherspoons !

This is why i'm rapidly starting to think Sheffield's in trouble. Any attempt to go even middle/upmarket by someone is akin to saying you've just had a wee on a small child. We are lagging behind Manchester and Leeds in so many ways, and this attitude is why.

How dare someone even attempt to make something vaugely upmarket. Don't like it? Stay down the market/moor end of town, or go to Doncaster/Rovrum for your nights out/meals. Stock is expensive - or did you miss that prices for food have nearly tripled/quadrupled in some cases in the last two years in supermarkets? Rents are up... And don't even get me started on alcohol prices/duty either.

Lets have Banker's Draughts the city over, that'll be fantastic. :loopy:

/Rant

In terms of the Bar & Grill closing, its a real shame. But it'll give someone else the opportunity to step in perhaps. Who owns the Leopold square leases?

Harrogate is very different to Sheffield though. Well heeled folk from Leeds and Manchester go there for the weekend for the express purpose of spending money. You don't see much of that round here.

I probably earn more than the average wage in Sheffield but I wouldn't go somewhere where the steak was £18. I do support local businesses and restaurants but, I have a mortgage to pay.

Harrogate doesnt need anyone from Leeds or Manchester spending money there at weekends, its a wealthy town in it's self, infact it's probably the Harrogate folk that go spending loads of brass in the top shops of Leeds.

Sheffield centre will always struggle to have a more upmarket bar/restaurant as the "afterwork" crowd hardly exists in the city centre as there aren't any businesses, hardly any big law firms, accountants, banks, insurance companys and all the shoppers with money are in Meadowhall, blame the council, it's them thats to blame as over the past 30 years they've totally killed the city centre off.

Interesting actually, with a few exceptions the most successfull examples of venues in the Sheffield area doing good food are in more laid back venues - perhaps those that are happy to pay more for good food round here don't like a formal, stuffy atmosphere - they prefer a more relaxed, social place with staff and management that you can talk to like a friend?

Interesting actually, with a few exceptions the most successfull examples of venues in the Sheffield area doing good food are in more laid back venues - perhaps those that are happy to pay more for good food round here don't like a formal, stuffy atmosphere - they prefer a more relaxed, social place with staff and management that you can talk to like a friend?

And most arent in the city centre, as the city centre at night is not a place where most of the well to do folk want to be as it's taken over by drunks, thugs, vagrants and ne'r do wells.. like most city centres these days.

The vastly cheaper rents in the suburbs also mean they dont have to charge unjustified top wack prices for their food. I imagine Bar and Grill had to take £1500 a week just to cover their rent, rates and service charge.

Edited by GodStar

And most arent in the city centre, as the city centre at night is not a place where most of the well to do folk want to be as it's taken over by drunks, thugs, vagrants and ne'r do wells.. like most city centres these days.

The vastly cheaper rents in the suburbs also mean they dont have to charge unjustified top wack prices for their food. I imagine Bar and Grill had to take £1500 a week just to cover their rent, rates and service charge.

"£1500 a week just to cover their rent, rates and service charge.!

:hihi::hihi: and the rest! that wouldnt cover much at all !i am guessing nearer double that?

You're a mile out and I'm not prepared to divulge figures.

Not bothered and didnt suggest you should! Not that far out though. I know how much they rent for

Absolutely spot on as far as I'm concerned and the main reason why I love the Wig and Pen/Milestone as well as quite a few bars for food.

Even The Beauchief, where the food is amazing, is quite formal, but the staff are warm and friendly.

Well I am happy its closed and the London club should be too .. too bloody expensive for me and my dog .. Sheffield doesnt need places like these no one can afford em and give us some more Wetherspoons !
You're entitled to your opinion but happy?

You're pleased its closed, happy that people are out of work, happy that its shut down? Care to explain why?